Continue to Site

Help with a sweeter Chicago style Pizza sauce please!

Integraoligist

I’ve changed the recipe from 1oz Basil & 1 oz Oregano to— 1 1/2 oz Basil & 1/2 oz Oregano… also added regular Sugar but it gave the sauce an odd taste…

any other ideas on how to get that sweet Chicago style flavor?

BTW i use Bonta 1.09 and 6in1 and water… 1 part each

Last edited:
I nay be a near total novice and I do know Chi town and it’s pizza. I don’t think increasing the basil and oregano would do it for me but have you tried the fennel? Also, do you use chunky tomato sauce. Go Sox, Spring training is only a few windy days away.

Skip the sugar and buy a sweeter tomato base. Stanislaus has a “SuperDolce” sauce of some sort that purports to be extra sweet . . . I would assume that Escalon has one as well. That is likely how the pizza joints in ChiTown get the sweeter tomato flavor.

Last edited:
Hmmm…how about a brown sugar instead of white sugar…or maybe a little bit of syrup thrown into it?

I know when I make homemade BBQ sauce, to make my sweet sauce I combine those 2…maybe that might offer a tastier adjustment?

Last edited:
60.png
papajgirl:
Hmmm…how about a brown sugar instead of white sugar…or maybe a little bit of syrup thrown into it?

I know when I make homemade BBQ sauce, to make my sweet sauce I combine those 2…maybe that might offer a tastier adjustment?
I did almost 8 months research before I came to my final sauce but the woman in Boston cranking at about 38K a week out of a litteral shack sold me. Brown sugar works! Bringing the flavors together to create a NATURAL sweet taste involves heating all your spices and ingredients slowly for a short time and to a steep followed by at least a twelve hour chill. It breaks down the acids and increases the natural sweetness of the tomato…etc.

PD

Last edited:
Just read this lastnight and threw some brown sugar in my base batch to see how it comes out… i’ll let you all know in a little bit 🙂
Thanks!

Last edited:
Back