Continue to Site

help with cleaning rags

franwake13

hey, this question is for you guys that clean your own rags. what kind of soap do you use to remove grease from the rags? how do u wash them? thanks alot
-frank

Last edited:
Soak them in bleach water. Then guy buy yourself something nice with the 500$ a year you will save for having nasty black rags. Me, I’d rather spend the money and have nice crispy whites every week.

Last edited:
We use a rag service. Well worth the $35/wk to know that we will always have clean rags, a fresh mop and decent looking floor mats.

Last edited:
Wash them like any other white fabric.(In a washing machine) We use Tide, and bleach of course. Give 'em a shot of “blueing” every once and a while, and they stay nice and white…until they dissolve from the bleach. But even then they are still white!!

Last edited:
Pakula's Pizza:
Soak them in bleach water. Then guy buy yourself something nice with the 500$ a year you will save for having nasty black rags. Me, I’d rather spend the money and have nice crispy whites every week.
another reason to never do them yourself…your place will go down in flames! thats right folks, our old service missed our stop so we went to the laundramat and left them in the bag…cause of fire was spontaeous combustion from oil residue and heat from dryer

good luck with the bleach

Last edited:
How many rags are you using for 22-25 dollars per week? Just seems to me you could buy brand new rags and throw them away daily and save money. Sams club sells 60 rags for $16 or so.

Last edited:
We have a service also. They take care of aprons, rags, and floor mats for $50 a week. We use 110 rags, 50 aprons, and have 4 floor mats.

I have used Lestoil (available at Lowes) and bluing to get oil and grease out of rags. They work very well.

Last edited:
Our usage count will vary a tad by the week, but our contracted rate per wipe is .14, for our cook aprons .30 each with a std. add on of 1.05 per week for “replaced or discarded” units. The way I look at it, for the $22 or so bucks I can’t pay myself to spend the time to get them in the wash, dried, rebundled…and ready for use again the next day. I don’t have a machine here, certainly wouldn’t do them in my home machine with all the grease and muck they’d drag in with them, and no way do I have time nor interest in hanging out at the local laundry for 2 hours a week to run them through.

Last edited:
I put them in the washer and fill with 3/4 gallon ofbleach and cold water…let em sit for a couple of hours…wash with soap and and the rest of the bleach. Then one more wash. They start to go south after a few washes so we just incorporating new ones in.

My take on it is I can get pretty good bar mop towels around 24cents each 4 for a buck basically so for 20 bucks a week for a service I can ALWAYS have clean towels. On occassion I get the cheaper ones but they don’t last as long.

We keep washing them and when they start to fall apart or not get so white we use them as throw away rags for top of oven…front of oven…etc. The really dirty stuff.

We use disposable mops.

As for aprons started years ago

Last edited:
oops…

as for aprons years ago I started buying black and they have lasted…well years. I wash them in cold water on gentle so the strings don’t get all tangled up. The black are perfect…no stains. :shock:

Last edited:
yeah the 25 dollars includes refilling soap as needed aprons and mop heads it also includes taking my mats and leaving clean ones.
Fran if you are really just want to do your own word of advise do not use your home washer and dryer it really will put some wear and tear on them. if you launder them there is a blue/green pan degreaser I soak over night in then take them to laundry…have to do this 3 times a year as my towel guy is a small local business that takes off once for vacation thanksgiving and christmas…

Last edited:
Back