Continue to Site

Help with Dough press

italy2003gt

anyone ever use a dough press. Im opening a pizzeria and do not know how to toss dough so I was thinking of buying a dough press. Just wondering how they work… do I have to proof the dough first than press it or do I press it cold and let the shell sit out till it proofs. any help would be appreciated…

Last edited:
one trick for best results is to use dough @ least 24 hrs old & letting it warm-up - room temp is nice & proofed a bit…you may still have some shrink back, but you can get used to reading the dough…hand tossing is not all that hard to learn/master - no need to “toss” it in the air - you can get all the size needed on the table…

Last edited:
High Italy:

Patriot Gave you good information:

I would add that none of our chain accounts and almost none of our independents use presses.

To my knowledge all presses have a heated surface, that’s how they set the dough so it does not simply retract it self back towards its original shape. That heating creates a skin on the pizza dough that our clients find objectionable.

Most of our chains and many independents do use dough rollers to get the dough close to the shape desired.

Note neither of the above devises produce a perfectly shaped pizza dough and some final shaping by hand is required.

George Mills

Last edited:
Hey Italy

If you dont mind me asking why would you want to open a pizzeria if you cant even make a pizza.Why not get some expierence first then open up.

Last edited:
48.png
alotadough:
Hey Italy

If you dont mind me asking why would you want to open a pizzeria if you cant even make a pizza.Why not get some expierence first then open up.
Where did he say he doesn’t know how to make a pizza?

Last edited:
I don’t want to argue either but you don’t need to know how to toss dough to know how to make a pizza.

Last edited:
48.png
italy2003gt:
anyone ever use a dough press. Im opening a pizzeria and do not know how to toss dough so I was thinking of buying a dough press. Just wondering how they work… do I have to proof the dough first than press it or do I press it cold and let the shell sit out till it proofs. any help would be appreciated…
I’ll chime in on the Dough Press question…

I use a DoughPro 1100. I chose to use a dough press after my research at Pizza Expo a few years ago. I primarily chose it for it’s ease of use, small footprint and ability to use dough straight out of the fridge. I also think it’s safer than a sheeter, but I don’t want to go into that debate. Yea, it’s not as popular as a sheeter and definitely not as cool as hand-tossing. But, I’ll put my pizza up to anyone’s using any method. The end product looks great. I’m no expert with a sheeter, but I’m fairly sure it takes about about the same amount of time to produce a skin. As for hand-tossing, I think the press is faster.

I keep my dough press heated to 106 degrees throughout the day. When I get an order, I simply remove the dough from the fridge, place it on the bottom plate, spray it with oil and press. It’s so easy that my 10 year old son can press a pizza with ease.

I definitely proof my dough first. Dough balls store much better than skins. As long as my dough has had ample time to “relax” I do not have a problem with springing back.

My only true gripe about the dough press is that the dough occasionally sticks to the top plate, which is kind of a pain to remove. This only happens when the dough has too much moisture content and/or we don’t spray it. We use corn meal in our dough boxes, so I always try to have my pizza makers put the corn meal side up on the press. This helps a lot.

Anyways, I hope this info is helpful.

Last edited:
And let me also add, Try using a lower protein content flour than a typical, high gluten pizza flour. Something in the 12% protein range works well with the presses, some trade names are: General Mills Full Strength; General Mills Superlative;General Mills Harvest King;Cargill Progressive Baker Qualitate. These are some bag flour names that your local supplier should be able to match with their own brands. Additionally, if snap-back/dough memory becomes too much of a problem, you can use PZ-44 <www.foremostfarms.com> to control it.
Remember to oil the platten, then oil the dough ball, set the temperature at about 165F (you may need to experiment to see what temperature works best with your dough) and use a dwell time of 6 to 9-seconds (again, experiment to determine what works best with your dough).
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
I have ben using a dough press for 10 years and have always liked how it works. Here is my dough process. We ball our dough, let it rise for about 15 minutes, we then put it in a lightly olied pan and flatten it out enough to fit under our dough press. We then move it from the pan and press it out on our dough press and place back in the pan, we then cover it and let it rise for about 10 minutes and then put it in the cooler. When we are ready to make a pizza we just pull it out and form the crust and away we go.

Last edited:
Back