Continue to Site

Help with Poly selection for bartop

pcuezze

After almost 5 years, the poly on our oak bar top is in need of being re-done. It’s gotten sticky and difficult to clean so I’ll have to belt-sand the old poly. I’d like a harder finish this time but I’m also concerned about the amount of down-time for the bar. I’ve used Cabot marine grade on a home bar project and loved the results. However, my recollection was that it took 2+ days to fully dry. I’ve also considered oil-based hard wood floor poly which creates a very hard finish but, as I understand, also takes days to dry. Any thoughts or suggestions, or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and close the bar for 48+ hours if I want a good hard finish?

Patrick Cuezze

Last edited:
Have you considered a 2-part epoxy finish? It’s gonna cost you big, but it may solve a few issues at once.

Last edited:
2 part epoxy is the way to go for sure. I’ve personally poured two bar tops and it worked great. 7 years of use on one and it’s still great. The first top I did was the epoxy from Home Depot, expensive but worked great. The second top I bought it in bulk off the net. Same like glass results. A blow torch will be the secret tool to a perfect install. The internet has great info on it…

Last edited:
Back