Continue to Site

Hidden Valley Ranch Recipe

jackaloo

Been using Marzetti ranch for years but it’s gotten too expensive ($12 gallon)
I’m switching to HVR

should I use low fat buttermilk or regular?
any recommendations for Mayo brand?
Other comments or suggestions

Thanks, Paul

Last edited:
when we made it years ago, we found heavy-duty mayonnaise (helmans type) worked the best, I believe we just used regular buttermilk. But it is still pricey because the recipe doesn’t really make a full gallon.

Last edited:
Purchase the commercial size of the HVR packets - each makes one gallon. Use buttermilk, definitely whole buttermilk. When it comes to the mayo you want to find the cheapest, richest heavy-duty mayo you can find. “Good” mayos have the problem of that weird vinegary whang (I guess they all want to be more like Miracle Whip?). A bland, fatty Mayo makes the best Ranch - we used to use Sam’s Club brand before they tried to upscale it and screwed it up with ‘flavor’, now we use our vendor’s own label brand.

I know it sounds counterintuitive, but the better the mayo the worse the Ranch. I can’t stress that enough.

Last edited:
We actually buy our HVR mix in a 20 lb bulk box and it makes 100 gallons of Ranch! The cheapest way to go by far!

Last edited:
Agree about the heavy duty mayo. We don’t make ours…have in the past. The heavy duty makes everything taste better. :lol:

How much do the gallon MIX for Hidden Valley Run now a days?

Last edited:
$1.86 for the 3.2 oz mix packet that makes one gallon. How much does the 20 lbs bulk box cost?

Last edited:
12.00 a gallon…So how much will you save by using something else?..Will you use lose the “marketing” value using a premium product gives you?..

Last edited:
I wind up paying right at .38 cents per ounce for the bulk pack of HV Ranch mix. Saves .20 cents an ounce basically. I am sure the portioning isn’t quite as good due to using a cup supplied in the box to measure out for mixing though. But even if $14 bucks worth gets wasted per box, I am still saving myself $50.

Last edited:
Royster,

I don’t recall anyone ever asking what brand of ranch we use, but if they did
I think Hidden Valley Ranch probably has as good or better perceived quality than Marzetti’s.
We just put it into souffle cups for dipping. We also have packets of Ranch and other dressings for our salads
If we switch to hidden valley ranch it will save us about $4.50 a gallon (about $90 a month)

Last edited:
Do you not promote on your menus the fact you use a premium ingredient like Hidden Valley Ranch?..Does Hidden Valley Ranch pay a “Menu Allowance” for placing their logo on their menu?..Not sure how common this practice is any more but years back we go money from Dole and a few other companies for using their logos in the production of our menus…

PS…I missed the part about switching to HVR…I thought you were going away from that…

Last edited:
Back