Continue to Site

hiring staff

ill try to give enough info for my question. how would you guys staff a 75 seat ,11 barstool pizza bar? total size 3k sq ft., serving all types of pizza,italian entrees,appts,salads,sandwiches.package goods beer/wine.thanks if this question can be answered.ill be the front counter and pizza maker,have 1 bartender.

Last edited:
It’s how much business and how many customers that determines how many employees you need.
If you are just opening you better over-hire, until you work out all the problems and you will know who is going to stay and who is going to go.

Last edited:
It seems to me…
  1. for a unit that size, you would be better served managing then cooking. For instance, who’s making sure the appts, salads and entrees are being cooked correctly if you are making the pizzas.
  2. it is not ideal to be the front counter and pizza maker simultainously. You’ll have to wash your hands everytime you handle money, which will really slow down your pizza making.
  3. your staffing needs will vary based on the day of the week, and the skill level of your employees.
  4. generally, on Fri/Sat I bet you’ll need 2 people at each station in the beginning, until you know what you have. On slower days, maybe 1 per station, or even less.
    good luck

Last edited:
big joe pizza 726:
ill be the front counter and pizza maker
If you do sales that fill that restaurant, the above will be impossible. I have a 60 seat place, 2,000 square feet, and we pack it on weekends. During that time I have twelve employees in house and we only do pizza and salads. Like Napoli said, I manage the store during those times and don’t cook. I have two managers during the busy times… I handle the front-end and delivery dispatching and my GM manages production. You’ll need to have somebody overseeing things and that should be you when you’re a new restaurant. Don’t get bogged down with cooking or working the counter, let alone both at the same time.

Complete agreement with Alessandro… OVERHIRE. When we hire a new employee we tell them there’s a 2 week probationary period where we figure out if it’s going to work out for both sides. We actually end up letting about 40% of new hires go within those 2 weeks because we know they won’t be a top-notch employee. About 10% decide the job isn’t for them.

So statistically, 50% of all of your first staffing may end up being people you don’t want as employees. That means you should probably hire twice the amount you think you’d need so you can cut the fat.

Last edited:
ya and do tell your new staff that they are “seasonals” so that way you do not guarantee them a position (for when you want to let them go). Good management is what breaks or makes the store so play it right ;), good luck

Last edited:
60.png
akrom:
ya and do tell your new staff that they are “seasonals” so that way you do not guarantee them a position (for when you want to let them go). Good management is what breaks or makes the store so play it right ;), good luck
If I took this approach I would never have dedicated staff. If they think they are not long term asset to my business why would they make an effort to learn the business and develop into management material?

Last edited:
Because you’re cute and loveable?? I am with you that personal and financial investment is the best way to develop loyalty and “buy in”. Do your work documenting performance on paper, and dismissing a member of your staff should not cause intense headaches.

Last edited:
Back