Hobart Pelican Head Veggie Slicer

JTMiller09

Hello,

Is anybody using a Hobart Pelican Head to slice their veggies? We only need to slice Green Peppers and Onions, but tired of no consistency in size and cant find a good manual slicer that lasts for more that a month. We have a Hobart 660, so if the Pelican Head works, that would be great!

Thanks John. Have you tried the Nemco Veggie slicer for slices oions? Would be nice to have 1 piece of equip if possible.

It would work but would not make slices you would use on sandwiches s they wouldn’t be connected rings if that makes sense.

We use the Nemco EZ slicer for onions, peppers, and mushrooms

We process about 100lbs of onions weekly with no issues. I use a fixed blade Its around 1/4in.

I love the nemco its awesome.

The only problem is nobody actually wants to cut onions. Ive always wondered if buying those presliced vacuum sealed onions was a good idea

Or try the Robot coup,
I’ve heard a lot of people like that piece of equipment

Last edited:
presliced vacuum sealed onions
I discoverd those about 5 months ago and have used them since.

The price is twice as much as chopping yourself, considering you get a 50 pound bag for $40 and 20% goes in the trash. 10 pounds chopped is twenty bucks.

I have a driver that is kind of a foodie and articulate. He toke home a mistake pizza of just onions and he said it was fantastic. he could really taste the onion, I guess cause they are so small and gets completely cooked.

They have them at Rd also

Pros: better tasting on pizza, no more chopping onions, no more crying

Cons: cost, would not work on salads, maybe not subs either

I just noticed you said pre sliced. the ones I have acsess to are diced

Last edited:
Yeah Ive only seen diced. I dont put onions on my salads so Im clear there.

I was at a baseball game and the sausage stands were all use bags of presliced mixed onions and pepper strips they were called fajita mix onions and peppers. So I know if a place absolutely had to have sliced onions over diced it seems possible

After 30 years of slicing by hand, I started using a Hobart pelican slicer attachment about a year ago. It works well and is quite fast. We slice our peppers into 3/4" strips. When cutting peppers, some will always go through the slicer sideways and you will get a large round slice that will need to be sliced by hand. Still tons faster than slicing manually. We also use it to slice our meatballs and sausage links.

Back