Continue to Site

Hood Distance

Cheezy_Tomato

I have a double PS360. I have searched MM for specs on the space between the top of the oven to the bottom of the hood and can’t find it. My local building inspector has no idea (small town). Can anybody point me in the right direction.
Take care

Last edited:
Hi Cheezy:

Your hood should be 6 ft- 6 in to 7 ft above the floor .

Does not depend on the type of equipment under the hood.

What type and size hood are you using? How are you making up the exhausted air?

George Mills

Last edited:
Heat rises so I have never heard that it had to have a certain clearance above the oven. All the specs I have seen have been that it must extend at least 6 inches beyond the ends of the oven. It would need to be as high as George says so that you do not bump heads on it.

Last edited:
What ever you come up with, please make sure you get it in writing from the bulding inspector that it is okay…You would not want someone higher up and over the hill to have a different opinion…

Last edited:
High Paul;

At 83 inches Middleby ovens are often higher than the lower edge of many canopy type hoods.

In most instances of that type of installation we recommended that the top oven be raised into the hood a bit and then the lower oven be rolled under the upper and then th upper lowered on to the lower.

That way even hoods as low as 78 inches could be used with the PS 360 oven>

George Mills

Last edited:
Dewar's Pizza Bakery:
Heat rises so I have never heard that it had to have a certain clearance above the oven.
Correct me if I’m wrong George, but I would guess the requirements are there to stop you from putting it too high, not too low. If it’s too high you probably run the risk of other things (like your HVAC return) pulling the smoke and heat before they make it to the hood.

Last edited:
48.png
Piper:
Dewar's Pizza Bakery:
Heat rises so I have never heard that it had to have a certain clearance above the oven.
Correct me if I’m wrong George, but I would guess the requirements are there to stop you from putting it too high, not too low. If it’s too high you probably run the risk of other things (like your HVAC return) pulling the smoke and heat before they make it to the hood.
You are correct :
the minimum height for a hood is to prevent most operators from hitting their heads on it.
The maximum height is because above seven ft. high above the floor a hood looses capacity to capture.

George Mills

Last edited:
48.png
PokerDealer:
Dewar's Pizza Bakery:
Heat rises so …
Hot air rises.

If I recall, heat travels in all directions but especially towards cold.
Hi Poker dealer:

You are correct heat does travel in all directions. A hood must be properly designed in order to capture properly.

Note that despite the fact that a hood captures all the smoke when the smoke test is done workers still feel heat.

All equipment gives off radiant heat , that is like the heat that comes to us from the sun. That heat travels thousands of miles through space which it does not warm but when it contacts your body you feel heat. That’s what happens on a very cold winter day. You are surrounded by cold air but when the rays of the sun reach you feel warmth.

There is no way to capture and exhaust radiant heat. The convective heat rises and spreads and can be captured by the hood.

George Mills

Last edited:
48.png
PokerDealer:
Dewar's Pizza Bakery:
Heat rises so …
Hot air rises.

If I recall, heat travels in all directions but especially towards cold.
I misspoke. Heated air rises. Heat as radiation travels in all directions.

However, the reason for the hood is primarily to remove the combusted products of the oven to keep the air healthy. Yes, you want to remove the heat, but the radiated heat travels far outside of the range of the hood. You are trying to capture the heated air primarily for health, but that also means capturing some of the heat energy as well.

Half a dozen of one, six of another.

I am sure that it needs to be low enough to work properly but not too low to be a safety issue. I don’t know of anyone that mounted a hood too high. Just isn’t done because of common sense. Maybe someone has but I haven’t seen. In any way you look at it, I think we would all agree on the same sort of specs.

Last edited:
Back