Continue to Site

Hot Box / Holding Cabinets

steveo922

Hi Guys,

Just wondering, what temp do you guys keep your hotboxes at for storing ready pizzas? I absolutely cringe at the thought of the pizzas sitting in there after I let the customers know 20 minutes, but takes them 35 to show up.

Thanks

Last edited:
I believe the minimum allowable temperature is 150 degrees according to safe food practices.

Last edited:
Its my feeling and experience that if you take proper care of the ingredients when you receive, prep and hold them they will be fine once they are out of the oven and in boxes waiting for customers to pick them up. A better product in the oven will hold up better out of the oven. I don’t think you will see this in any Health Care Agency’s book however.

Last edited:
230_2.png
Daddio:
I believe the minimum allowable temperature is 150 degrees according to safe food practices.
140F

Last edited:
48.png
Piper:
Dewar's Pizza Bakery:
230_2.png
Daddio:
Dewar's Pizza Bakery:
230_2.png
Daddio:
140F
OK so I missed on the Canadian conversion it is 60*C here :?
Or 333.1 Kelvin.
Or 599.4 Rankine 😃
OK guys I get the point. By the way do you know why there are no donkeys in college?

There are already too many smart @$$es around. :lol:

Last edited:
We run at 140F to 150F . . . If cabinet is full, we run a little lower temp due to hot mass of the food keeping temp higher. Also, with lower food mass, we don’t want to dry out the food at the higher tep . . . less ambient humidity retained in box.

Last edited:
230_2.png
Daddio:
OK guys I get the point. By the way do you know why there are no donkeys in college?
There are already too many smart @$$es around. :lol:
What does PhD stand for? Pile it High and Deep.
(I am a university instructor) 🙂

Last edited:
Hi Stevro:

Daddio, Nick and Dewar Gave the same answers I would have.

If you do have a problem with product drying out in the box a pan with some water ion the bottom of the box will help. Some units have a water holding compartment for that reason. Your unit May have that feature.

Good Luck:

George Mills

Last edited:
Thanks for the posts guys. Appreciate it.

George, I tried that one day and put water at the bottom of the unit. What had happened was, it really fogged up the doors and there was tons of access water condensation all over the sides and door. Maybe I put too much water in.

Last edited:
George, I tried that one day and put water at the bottom of the unit. What had happened was, it really fogged up the doors and there was tons of access water condensation all over the sides and door. Maybe I put too much water in.

Hi Stevio:

More than likely your water got to hot. The units we sell have a separate heating element for the vapor pan and there is an infinite control switch that sets the amount of humidity.
Perhaps if you put the water pan up a bit higher in the unit you could get the results you want.

George Mills

Last edited:
Our cabinet too has a built in reservoir for water. Its meant for the proofing mode, which also has a dial for humidity. But the manufacturer recommends that is for proofing dough.

Last edited:
Hi Steveo;

Yes most all manufacturers call them proofing boxes. We have been selling them for years to keep pizzas hot.

Some of our clients use the humidity feature some do not. It is best if you wish to try it to start at the lowest humidity setting and work your way up to what is best for your product.

George Mills

Last edited:
60.png
steveo922:
Our Alto Shaam has some vents in the doors specifically to adjust for the humidity and heat retention. Maybe yours has a vent of some sort? Or George’s theory about water too hot could “hold some water” 🙂

Last edited:
Back