Continue to Site

Houston Hunger Rush!

HannahBananas

Anyone else using Hunger Rush, what the hell we supposed to do! 50% of my business is ordered online any suggestions what are you all doing? :? PS sorry I was a little selfish, God bless you guys down there, we hope you get back up and running, just freaked out a bit, we’re all pullin for ya

Last edited:
Are you saying they are down due to the hurricane? I would switch to someone that uses a proper datacenter.

Last edited:
Wow! They are down. Unthinkable that they don’t have an alternate datacenter or any other disaster recovery plan in place.

Add that to your list of questions you ask when signing up for online order services. With todays technology, having a redundant server sitting somewhere across the country is both simple and cheap.

Last edited:
“Cheap” is relative…I saw someone complaining in another forum that it was “too expensive” to spend an extra $25.00 per month for a set-up that gave him 3 locations of re-dundant servers…Bet when his site goes down, he will have a different opinion of life…I can not imagine doing any hosting at a company that was not 100%…

Last edited:
Wait a minute. HungerRush is Revention’s product? If that is the case and HannahBananas is using Revention, then my understanding is he/she is stuck. I do not believe that Revention’s system allows for other online providers… at least it didn’t use to.

Last edited:
Dewar's Pizza Bakery:
Wait a minute. HungerRush is Revention’s product? If that is the case and HannahBananas is using Revention, then my understanding is he/she is stuck. I do not believe that Revention’s system allows for other online providers… at least it didn’t use to.
Yes, HungerRush is a Revention product.

Last edited:
Registered Guest:
Yes, HungerRush is a Revention product.
Did you try calling their ‘24 hour’ tech support?

It would appear par for the course that Revention doesn’t have a back up server and contingency plan in place.

Last edited:
HannahBananas,
What you posted to your homepage is great. I think that after people see that the will understand and call.

Last edited:
Still down.

I wonder why they haven’t taken their offsite backups and loaded them on a server somewhere else. Or even at worst case redirected HungerRush to a text page that says “We will be down …”.

Last edited:
maybe they have families to worry about…just a thought…there are more important things than business

Last edited:
48.png
ddariel20:
maybe they have families to worry about…just a thought…there are more important things than business
Of course. However, this could mostly be accomplished with the “flip of a switch” if it had been planned and tested properly.

I don’t know the details, so I guess I can’t really comment further. I spent 16 years involved in the design and testing of disaster recovery procedures for some pretty large computer systems (mostly banks) - and I know all too well how important having these plans in place are. It just irks me that in this “internet” day and age that having this sort of stuff seems to not be important anymore. Just imagine if you couldn’t get your money out of an ATM for 2 weeks - would you still be saying “there are more important things than business”?

Last edited:
60.png
ddariel20:
Oh, please. Disaster recovery plans mean dealing with emergencies BEFORE they happen. When the disaster strikes, you simply go to the failover solution.

And let’s be honest, a hurricane takes DAYS to arrive. Disaster recovery planning is more concerned about fires, power outages, and other events that happen suddenly. If you have DAYS, you could almost leisurely flip that switch. They should have had NO downtime with that much advance notice. Heck, even if they had NO plan, they could have transferred their data to another location and redirected the DNS servers to it.

I suspect the Hunger Rush servers are just sitting in their offices with no backup power.

Last edited:
And sad to say, once the flood waters recede and the power is restored, Revention’s business will be in ruins…

Last edited:
48.png
royster13:
And sad to say, once the flood waters recede and the power is restored, Revention’s business will be in ruins…
I assume you mean because of this problem with service… if so…

I disagree. Because customers have lowered their expectations of companies to the point where something like this will be written off as a “force of God” instead of what it really appears to be. And that is mainly because customers don’t know any better. People are willing to put up with something if they don’t realize that it should and could be different.

It’s a vicious cycle that never ends.

Last edited:
48.png
royster13:
I sincerely doubt that.

First, are you sure they were flooded? If not, it is much more likely they just suffered a power outage and did not have backup generators for their servers or a plan to deal with such eventualities. I doubt they suffered a loss of assets.

Now, for those that had substantial online business with Hunger Rush, they may have lost a considerable amount of income. I would be asking Revention for some kind of concession on future services to make it up to them.

Last edited:
As a former insurance adjuster, I saw many business fail after a disaster and many never lose a beat…It all depended on the state of readyness…But I agree, far too many folks accept mediocrity these days…

Last edited:
The entire HungerRushâ„¢ team would like to extend our sincerest apology for any inconvenience that you might have experienced regarding your online ordering service over the past weekend. We want all of our customers to know that your success is our number one priority.

The catastrophic impact of Hurricane Ike destroyed our city and inconvenienced a very large number of our valued HungerRushâ„¢ customers. We are pleased to inform you that HungerRushâ„¢ has not sustained any type of failure. The HungerRushâ„¢ facility and resources were designed with disaster plans in place to make sure that your service is not interrupted internally.

During the tragic impact of Hurricane Ike, all major ISP providers experienced intermittent city-wide bandwidth failures for all of their customers, including HungerRushâ„¢, federal divisions, hospitals, and law enforcements agencies. Fortunately, the operating facility of HungerRushâ„¢ remained fully operational, and experienced zero interruptions in service throughout the hurricane. HungerRushâ„¢ did however; experience some interruptions 18-hours after Hurricane Ike hit the Houston area due to the city bringing down ISP components for trouble shooting purposes. This was in no way related to the HungerRushâ„¢ infrastructure and could not be avoided.
The HungerRush™ engineering team made a decision to “flip the switch†on Saturday evening to move service to another location, but engineers were physically cut off from the facility due to extensive flooding and debris-littered streets. For a 29-hour period from Saturday evening, September 13, 2008 through Sunday evening, September 14, 2008, HungerRush™ service was intermittent.

Our hosting facility is completely redundant with alternative power sources that will sustain for weeks if needed. The bandwidth (Internet) has two Token Ring Fiber Circuits, two T1 Circuits, and a 3 MB Synchronous Digital Line for emergency situations. All three bandwidth resources come from different ISP providers, and are designed to eliminate downtime for our customers. Hardware redundancy is built in to allow HungerRushâ„¢ to pick up in another data center region at any time with the flip of a switch.

Once again, we apologize for any service disruptions. Please be assured that your success is our number one priority.

Not to beat a man when he is down, (maybe it was all the â„¢’s that got to me) but 29 hours of “intermittent” downtime is pretty bad considering you knew the hurricane was coming. The “switch” should have been thrown way before any raindrops fell on your heads. Don’t you have a backup location in another part of the country?

If you want to host your own site and can accept a little downtime, then it is not worth spending the money on redundant geographic locations. But when you take payment and others have the potential to lose significant income to downtime, you have a fiduciary responsibility to do so.

Last edited:
Back