Continue to Site

How do you handle this?

UncleNicksPizza

Most of our specials deal with Large (14") Pizzas. I find it easier because it tends to be the most popular size, and it allows me to keep more dough on hand because I push it the most. So while I do have a handful of alternative specials for different sizes (usually due to bundling and cost), we seldom offer them beyond occasional mailers or those looking online.

There are two things I encounter however, that I am curious to get opinions as to how you handle. The first being, in my eyes, and easier one. A customer calls for a special, let’s say our Family Deal (14" Any Way 14" 2 Topping) for $22. One easy way to make extra money is to upsize to a 16" for xx more. Of course for these instances, I have a duplicate coupon made for the next size up so that they can use the same deal and just upgrade the pizzas. Now for what I consider the harder question: What if the customer (a new one) ordered the essentially that special, but medium. Regular price it would be $22.98. Would you A) Leave it be and charge them that price knowing that they’ll receive the 2 large coupon on the box, and maybe they’ll use that next time. B) Let the customer know about the coupon, and upgrade them for LESS money, or C) Have a coupon in the system for the smaller sizes that you don’t advertise, automatically apply it if they order that deal, and let the customer know you gave them a special?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Last edited:
This dilemma is one of the many reasons I never discount my pizzas. Having said that, here is what I would like as a customer: If you have a deal that is close to what I am ordering I would really think you were a great place if you offered me an upgrade for the same price.

You might compare your scenario to shopping at a store that requires a “membership card” (coupon) for you to get their sale price vs the store where everyone who happens to buy the product that is on special gets the discount. I will pick the place that has fewer hoops to jump through.

Last edited:
Daddio;
I’m in your court too as I never like to discount the pizza but instead go for bundling. For me, your response as to what to do was spot on also. I just recently had a similar thing happen to me where I ordered two large pizzas and two salads. As the young lady rang the order up she replied that she could ring the order up as two of their weekly specials which was two salads or two soft drinks for $2.00 more with the purchase of any large pizza with two or more toppings. I ended up getting my two pizzas, two salads and two soft drinks. (Two salads with one pizza and two soft drinks with the other one). I ended up two soft drinks and about $6.00 cheaper than what my order would have been without the special, and as I was waiting for the pizzas I decided to put a portion of that saving back into the order with an order of breadsticks. When I got back to my son’s home with all that food he commented that he thought I was just going out to pick up a couple of pizzas. Special or no special I know where I will be going to buy pizza the next time I visit my son in Kansas City. That’s got to be worth something in advertising, and like many other patrons I like to go to places that appreciate my business. I might also add that, including the tip that I added to the bill I spent my entire $6.00 saving and a little bit more, I guess you might say that from the store’s perspective, mission accomplished!
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
A 14" deluxe and a 14" 2 topping would cost $31.90 menu price at my restaurant!

Last edited:
Back