How Does Your POS Save You Money?

December

I have a new Pos system coming in soon. I get the general consensus is that it’s something no restaurant can go without, also how it saves money and eventually it pays for itself.

I just dont get how?

Last edited:
The first thing that comes to mind is the reduction of mistakes. A hand written special instruction that is hard to read can cost time and money. Adding up the bill wrong is another one that can cost you money.

Last edited:
A POS system on its own will help make things more accurate and professional within the store.

You will have greater accuracy and data on all aspects of your restaurant and it should make everything you do easier.

The difference in profitability comes from how use the data that you can get from it. Use reporting in order to see where the peaks and troughs of sales are in a week or in a day, look at the sales mix and get rid or change un-popular items and alter the menu accordingly. Use the inventory modules to track food cost exactly, use the customer data that you collect to market etc.

Last edited:
It will insure that extra charge items are not only charged but charged the correct amount. Reporting will also be much easier and quicker. Your POS may also help with marketing and customer loyalty which would help bring in additional revenue.

Last edited:
In addition to all great points posted above, if a POS is setup properly and also being used properly, can help you avoid giving away free items such as extra options on modifiers, additional modifiers, extra dressings, etc. That does make a difference even if it doesn’t appear to do so.
But these are not the only points where a POS can save you money and pay for itself.
It reduces the times of many different processes therefore it makes your life much easier and gives you the option to use the time somewhere else instead of calculating stuff that has already been calculated for you.
For example:

• []Time cards, Payroll and scheduling: You don’t need to write down how many hours each employee has and calculate the hourly rate to do payroll since most POS already have that option. Plus, with scheduling available all you need to do is create it once and done if you keep a consisted schedule. Even if not, it’s so much easier to make few adjustments rather than write a new one every week.
    [
    ]If you track inventory: You would know what’s needed for your next order on items you track, plus you’d be able to compare previous orders vs sales weeks to see your numbers. You can do that manually of course, but can you imagine the time needed to enter all the information in spreadsheets daily?
    []Reporting: You can get any report you need at any time, in seconds. No need to search vendor invoices, daily sales, expenses etc. to get the results you want. Everything is few clicks away.
    [
    ]Delivery & Mapping: No better way to dispatch drivers and organize routes, let alone the ease of cashing out drivers at the end of their shift. Delivery module makes the entire process a breeze! No need to stare at a map anymore since you know the exact location, distance and approx. drive time for each customer entered into the POS.
  • Online Ordering: Imagine this: A customer placing his order online, pays online, and drives to your store to pick up his food. Just for that specific order, you don’t need time on the phone taking the order rushing the customer, you don’t need time taking his card number over the phone, and you don’t need time for sending the order to his house! That might not be the case on all or even most of the online orders, but when it is, it counts! Even when it isn’t, it still saves you time.
That said, these are only few standard operation that you can find with most POS systems out there. Depending on the POS you choose, it could include so many other options to save you time and money.
Whatever you do to that helps you save time, you eventually save money. Your time is valuable and better spent in a more profitable way rather than being lost over a pile of spreadsheets, receipts, invoices and countless calculations!

Last edited:
I mean it can save you a little on labor. If you’re hand writing orders and calculating totals, it’s going to take you double or triple the amount of time at the very least for every order. For instance, say you typically need 3 phone people on a Friday night, maybe with a POS system you only need 2. The real savings is in efficiency. No more time wasted simply adding numbers. If you’re paying a manager to add numbers, there’s some more savings for you. From an administrative standpoint, reporting will help you see exactly where you’re doing well and where you’re not. High margin items vs low margin items, what sells at what times, spots you might be able to cut down on labor, employee performance, inventory, etc.

Last edited:
When I was on pen and paper method , it used to take me 15-30 minutes cashing out drivers . Now it takes half a second.

Pos will reduce labor (1 person running tickets everywhere & pricing the tickets vs order prints to corresponding make line and it’s priced correctly)

A good pos will make you much more efficient , reducing labor in many aspects. For example: “integrated online ordering : comes directly into store and order is made immediately vs waiting for a fax or typing into pos from a tablet”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back