Continue to Site

How long do you proof your dough?

Missy_PMQ

Administrator
Staff member
I met a gourmet pizza chef in Brazil who proofs his dough for 40 minutes, I met one in France who proofs his dough for a week. What have you found is the best time frame for proofing?

Last edited:
We like at least a 48 hour rest in the cooler, 72 hours is better.
Other than that, we go directly from the cooler to the stretching table as needed.
If we know we’ll need dough faster, we take a few pounds from a previous batch and mix them in with the new batch to help flavor and other qualities.

Last edited:
a week! sound like sour dough…we proof ours for at least 24 any more than 3 days it starts to ferment.

Last edited:
Ideal for us is to make dough in the morning and use it the next (2nd) day in the evening… so about 30-36 hours but it is still great the third day and usable the fourth.

We tend not to use past the third day though preferring to mix it back into a new batch.

Last edited:
Cold-proofing for at least 36 hours and up to 72 hours seems to work best for me.

Last edited:
a week! sound like sour dough…we proof ours for at least 24 any more than 3 days it starts to ferment.
What can I say? He’s French. They are Europe’s hub for stinky and moldy cheeses. They also love their alcohol. I think that fermented taste is what he was going for.

Last edited:
lol hey, i would try it! Stinky cheese, good booze, and pizza count me in! #PerfectStorm

Last edited:
What can I say? He’s French. They are Europe’s hub for stinky and moldy cheeses. They also love their alcohol. I think that fermented taste is what he was going for.
Ya know, that may be why our customers compliment our crust so much, we are in a very heavy drinking area, drinking around here is beyond being a hobby, its more like a profession!
Lewis black explains it best

Last edited:
Hahahaha, that’s great! And I thought Southerners drank a lot. The thing I’ve found about the French is they typically drink early and pass out early. Paris is a ghost town at 2am when all the bars and restaurants are closed. Must be all that wine at lunch. 😃

Last edited:
Back