Continue to Site

How long should a resignation letter be?

papajgirl

Hey all,

I am fixing to resign from my job because of all the things I’ve whined about, and more that have recently happened. LOL

I feel a need to “say my piece” being every time I try to defend my position, I am squelched and made to feel like my feelings are invalid.

So, with that being said, I want to provide a plausible explanation of why I’m leaving…but that could take 2 pages or 3.

What, as an owner or manager, would you consider to be “too much” in the way of explaining WHY I am going?

Thanks!

BTW: Anyone in the Tulsa, OK area looking for the best pizza employee you’ll ever have? 😉

Last edited:
The shorter the better. If the management want you to explain the reason they will ask. By resigning without venting, you have left without burning you bridges. This may leave the door open for future re-employment.

Thank them for the opportunity they gave you and give them a final day that you will be available for work. Any more than this is likely unwanted. If you feel you must point out the flaws in their system only do so if asked.

Last edited:
2 or 3 sentences at most.

No explanation or reason should be given in the letter. Just the facts about your departure.

If they want to know more, they will ask.

Last edited:
Dear Employer,

With this letter, I am giving notice of resigning my posistion with your company effective two weeks from the date of this letter. I will continue to be available for my usual responsibilities during this notice. Thank you for the opprtunity to work here.

Best Regards,

Employee

Last edited:
short & sweet!

Thank them for the opportunity & all you’ve learned…

Give an exact date…

They may counter, so be prepared…

Stand true to your reasons for leaving, so don’t play into anyone’s hand…

Once you turn in a notice, everything changes, as many bosses feel you’ll soon dump on them @ a future point…

I usually end their employment early, so they can move on & not sour the operation…

Don’t be surprised they don’t really care…

Last edited:
Say your piece here, and keep the letter to 2 sentences. There is no profit in wining (your words, hehe) to your soon to be ex-employer. To them your feelings will be invalid anyway. With the new year, cut your losses and get ready to move on.

Last edited:
I agree with the other posters…a couple of sentances and that is all. Your motive for a long letter is to validate your feelings and get this…that is one of the reasons you are leaving…so save the breath and ink. Like the other poster stated you don’t want to burn the bridge…even if it is a nice letter.

Be prepared for them to not accept your two week notice and let it happen now. If you are depending on the income I would get yourself in a good position.

Also one thing I learned over the years is never ever ever quit a job without a new job. Never!

Kris

Last edited:
Fight the urge to “say your piece”! Never, ever burn a bridge. You never know when you might need that person again. If you let him have it you just ruined your chance of a positive recommendation. Plus who knows, you may want to work there again. I have had many employees leave and come back to work again - possible because neither of us burned that bridge.

You posted that you are looking for another pizza job. Do you plan on leaving PJ’s off of your resume? If someone wrote me a three page resignation letter just to “stick it to me” what do you think my response would be when someone called for a reference? It would be “All I can legally say is she would NOT be eligible for rehire.”

Kris, as always, gave excellent advice that I would echo… Unless you can handle a gap in your employment, do not give notice before your job is lined up. There is a very good possibility that your boss won’t have you complete your notice period.

Last edited:
And there is an even better possibility the boss will not read your letter. (And if he does, he will post it on the BB for all to read and make fun of, as the person leaving is always crucified).

Last edited:
I would agree with most of the other posts here. Just keep it simple. If you want to bullet point a few things, that is fine, but all you’re doing is helping them fix/avoid future problems.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

That was the only reason I wanted to “say my piece” was for their future development. After all the crap I’ve been through, I still care about them and the other employees there.

I emotionally invested so much to the business, it really stings me to the core to see where I now stand…which is at the bottom.

Imagine being told that you’re not being given your hours back because the employee who took on your role while you were gone has now worked in that position longer than you, so now they are her hours and not yours, even though you’ve been begging for your position back for 4 months, only to be told “let’s wait and see how your back does”.

Forget the fact you have 7 months seniority on the person and that that particular person was about to get fired for calling in excessively (9 times in her first month) because she didn’t like to work the evening shift.

I have also endured a .50 per hour pay cut without any notice or reason as to why, even when I verbally have confronted the store owner about it, he brushes off the subject and goes to something else.

At this point and time, I’m making so little money that not working through my notice will only cause me to lose $40. Awful, isn’t it?

Thanks all, and any more ideas, please keep 'em comin.

Last edited:
I dont get it honestly.

The others have it right, you have been OVERLY devoted to this place for way way too long.

Dont write a resignation letter, dont burn bridges, dont make a fundamental stand, dont explode and destroy equipment, just tell the manager you are moving on and exit graciously.

I can guarantee you that everyone in that shop would expect you to go overboard and be dramatic about leaving, so you do what they are NOT expecting and just be the professional employee and leave without losing your cool or your dignity.

I seriously have to think that your metro area should have PLENTY of jobs for someone like you, just get out there and pound the pavement.

Another benefit of leaving without drama is you never ever know who you will be working for in the future, OR managing…strange things seem to happen and a manager who you worked with 5 yrs ago all of a sudden joins the shop you are at and remembers what you said when you quit.

Its a great opportunity for you to make a professional decision and be the adult in the situation, but something tells me you want to torch the place and slash a few tires.

Good luck.

Last edited:
LOL Then your intuition is quite off!!! haha

Trust me, I am, and continue planning on being, the professional I am…I don’t make waves, but if there is a need to stand up for myself, I will.

I think that’s part of what has me in the “trouble” I’m in…no one can “phase” me enough to bring me down.

My parting will be gracious and kind…just as I’ve always been to them.
48.png
PizzainAZ:
Its a great opportunity for you to make a professional decision and be the adult in the situation, but something tells me you want to torch the place and slash a few tires.

Good luck.

Last edited:
60.png
papajgirl:
Hey all,

I am fixing to resign from my job because of all the things I’ve whined about, and more that have recently happened. LOL

I feel a need to “say my piece” being every time I try to defend my position, I am squelched and made to feel like my feelings are invalid.

So, with that being said, I want to provide a plausible explanation of why I’m leaving…but that could take 2 pages or 3.

What, as an owner or manager, would you consider to be “too much” in the way of explaining WHY I am going?

Thanks!

BTW: Anyone in the Tulsa, OK area looking for the best pizza employee you’ll ever have? 😉
Sorry to offend any player on this board but…“squelched” is either a victim of the boy’s club (lost world) or not a strong enough woman to play your field. Sorry on both parts, actually. *

Talking Pro and Walking Pro are two different places. I suggest before you exit, take a second look and ponder …

Good Luck. Your obvious passion is Wonderful.

PD

Last edited:
Case and point this afternoon…and this didn’t even affect me personally.

One of our drivers saw a note saying that if the drivers didn’t deliver a newspaper with every order, then they would not receive their driver’s stipend for that run.

When the driver asked the person who wrote the note about it, the one I had that run in with (the cusser and screamer) got defensive, and said that “there were MORE than 50 orders yesterday, so ALL of those papers should have been gone!”.

When the driver simply said “well on my orders”…the new manager (brought in from another state by the owner), said “hey, S…come over here and keep putting the fliers on the newspapers”.

That’s the type of stuff I’m talking about…anyone who has a brain and questions something gets shut up. It’s not just me…I think the others are too desperate to have a job to work up the nerve to say anything.

Sheesh.
48.png
PizzaDiva:
48.png
papajgirl:
Hey all,

Thanks!

Sorry to offend any player on this board but…“squelched” is either a victim of the boy’s club (lost world) or not a strong enough woman to play your field. Sorry on both parts, actually. *

Talking Pro and Walking Pro are two different places. I suggest before you exit, take a second look and ponder …

PD

Last edited:
48.png
papajgirl:
Case and point this afternoon…and this didn’t even affect me personally.

One of our drivers saw a note saying that if the drivers didn’t deliver a newspaper with every order, then they would not receive their driver’s stipend for that run.

When the driver asked the person who wrote the note about it, the one I had that run in with (the cusser and screamer) got defensive, and said that “there were MORE than 50 orders yesterday, so ALL of those papers should have been gone!”.

When the driver simply said “well on my orders”…the new manager (brought in from another state by the owner), said “hey, S…come over here and keep putting the fliers on the newspapers”.

That’s the type of stuff I’m talking about…anyone who has a brain and questions something gets shut up. It’s not just me…I think the others are too desperate to have a job to work up the nerve to say anything.

Sheesh.
48.png
PizzaDiva:
48.png
papajgirl:
Hey all,

Thanks!

PD
Honestly, your case and point was an excellent point with respect to your frustration. You are quite obviously dealing with a garbage man for a Leader.

If you can hang in there, let the frustration roll off you because this is a situation in which the turnover will be soon impacting the business. In this economy, it flows faster than flies on garbage men!

Really, I feel after reading you for almost a year, if you resigned and did not stick in there until all was said and done, it might not be the best. Stay strong, stick with your quality.

PD

Last edited:
Here we go.

=====

Honestly, your case and point was an excellent point with respect to your frustration. You are quite obviously dealing with a garbage man for a Leader.

If you can hang in there, let the frustration roll off you because this is a situation in which the turnover will be soon impacting the business. In this economy, it flows faster than flies on garbage men!

Really, I feel after reading you for almost a year, if you resigned and did not stick in there until all was said and done, it might not be the best. Stay strong, stick with your quality.

PD

Last edited:
Back