Continue to Site

How much competition?

Mancub

Hey all

As I’ve mention before i am considering opening a shop here in NJ. There are fair amount of shops in the area that I am looking at. I was wondering how many shops all of you might have in your neighborhoods. Also how much competition is too much or perhaps is it a good sign that pizza is really popular in this area?

Last edited:
If you read through the archives here, you will find folks that do quite well offering products in a “niche” market…However, you will also find some that cannot attract enough sales to be profitable in the “niche” they ate going after…You need to determine what folks in your market want, how many folks want what you will be offering and then figuring out if that group will generate enough cash flow for you to be profitable…I am sure most operators would like to offer premium product at a premium price, but not every market will support that…Good luck…

Last edited:
If you read through the archives here, you will find folks that do quite well offering products in a “niche” market…However, you will also find some that cannot attract enough sales to be profitable in the “niche” they ate going after…You need to determine what folks in your market want, how many folks want what you will be offering and then figuring out if that group will generate enough cash flow for you to be profitable…I am sure most operators would like to offer premium product at a premium price, but not every market will support that…Good luck…
I agree. We were in Central Ohio and I was struggling to get $11 for an 18"/$5 for 12" cheese NY pizza with the Smiling with Hope Bakery. We import cheeses from Italy, make house made sausage, homemade cannoli’s, oregano from Sicily, etc… Here in Reno we are getting $20/$10 and $2-18"/$1-$12 per topping with the same pie and lines out the door/running out of dough regularly. To have opened a pizzeria in Ohio would have been a death sentence. Walter

Last edited:
I agree. We were in Central Ohio and I was struggling to get $11 for an 18"/$5 for 12" cheese NY pizza with the Smiling with Hope Bakery. We import cheeses from Italy, make house made sausage, homemade cannoli’s, oregano from Sicily, etc… Here in Reno we are getting $20/$10 and $2-18"/$1-$12 per topping with the same pie and lines out the door/running out of dough regularly. To have opened a pizzeria in Ohio would have been a death sentence. Walter
I totally agree I believe the areas that I am consider could support a premium pizzeria. The average disposable income is quite large and other specialty shops in the area seem to be doing really well but no one has opened a high quality pizzeria. The places that are around have been there for a while and are just serving cheap discounted pizza.

Last edited:
What has made a difference here in Reno is there is a strong foodie culture. the Reno Foodie Group on facebook has 7,000 members and the huge/continual influx of Bay area Californians are wanting top shelf food as well. In OH we lived in a village that was 3,000 and the average income was well over 100k a year/master degrees for over 80% but the food culture was lacking and these people were fine with buying cheap/low quality food. Most traveled the world regularly on vacations and I asked how they could eat great food around the world and settle for what was in our village. They said when the get home this is the food they were raised on and it is the go to when in OH. The surrounding area was very poor and little ceasars was their style/price pizza. It sounds like you should do good. I grew up in Essex County NJ and the food palate is top shelf 🙂 walter

Last edited:
What has made a difference here in Reno is there is a strong foodie culture. the Reno Foodie Group on facebook has 7,000 members and the huge/continual influx of Bay area Californians are wanting top shelf food as well. In OH we lived in a village that was 3,000 and the average income was well over 100k a year/master degrees for over 80% but the food culture was lacking and these people were fine with buying cheap/low quality food. Most traveled the world regularly on vacations and I asked how they could eat great food around the world and settle for what was in our village. They said when the get home this is the food they were raised on and it is the go to when in OH. The surrounding area was very poor and little ceasars was their style/price pizza. It sounds like you should do good. I grew up in Essex County NJ and the food palate is top shelf 🙂 walter
Hey a fellow New Jersian! Thanks for the response. I’ve been looking around the red bank area not directly in that town cause rents are crazy. But the food culture around there has certainly come a long way. Hopefully I can find a good space!

Last edited:
Hey a fellow New Jersian! Thanks for the response. I’ve been looking around the red bank area not directly in that town cause rents are crazy. But the food culture around there has certainly come a long way. Hopefully I can find a good space!
The summer shore crowd is a win win. I was friends with the owners of Tino’s (long gone from Ortley Beach). they did standing room only/2 hour waits every day of the summer and had a decent off season crowd too. I am not that familiar with Red Bank but know more and more people are living at the shore year round. I spent every summer at Ortley Beach. Walter

Last edited:
The summer shore crowd is a win win. I was friends with the owners of Tino’s (long gone from Ortley Beach). they did standing room only/2 hour waits every day of the summer and had a decent off season crowd too. I am not that familiar with Red Bank but know more and more people are living at the shore year round. I spent every summer at Ortley Beach. Walter
I’m actual pretty close to the shore (seabright) I thought of looking there lots of beach clubs but I am really afraid of the off season but maybe I’ll give it a second look.

Last edited:
I am located in a resort town with a base population of 12K. We have two high seasons (winter and summer) and two off-seasons. There are at least 20 places in town that serve pizza. There are five or six that deliver of which four are mainly delco businesses. (Domino’s + three indys)

Do I wish there a couple less? Sure. When one of the other indys is closed we always have a big day so if one of them were gone we would do better for sure. With that said:

In a race with a bear I don’t have to be faster than the bear… I just have to be faster than you!

If there are bunch of pizza places thriving there is certainly a solid opportunity for a new pizza restaurant to succeed if they can come in and offer a different and more attractive combination of quality, service and price (pick any two). AND if they market effectively to get that message to the public.

Last edited:
In a race with a bear I don’t have to be faster than the bear… I just have to be faster than you! [/QUOTE said:
Thanks bodegahwy that was helpful and I’m definitely going to use that bear analogy!!!

Last edited:
We import cheeses from Italy, make house made sausage, homemade cannoli’s, oregano from Sicily
If you ever move to Orange County, California, please do let me know! :: drool ::

Last edited:
Back