Continue to Site

How much dough can you make in a 40qt Hobart?

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
S

system

Can you make a 25lb batch in a 40qt hobart without stressing the equipment too much? I am talking about a standard hobart not a VCM.

Thanks!

Mike;
If we are talking about a 40 quart bowl on an M-800 or M-802 mixer, the answer is yes, but if we are talking about a 40 quart Hobart mixer (I don’t know of a model number for a 40 quart Hobart) tha answer would be no. This would be too large of a dough size. About the best you could hope for would be would be a dough based on 15 to 18 pounds of flour. If you have a 60 quart mixer (H-600) then you should be able to go with 25 pounds of flour without any problem. If you have a P-660 you should be able to go with 40 pounds of flour weight without any problem. Thew P-660 is designed for making stiff doughs like pizza and bagel doughs.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
i use a 30qt and was using a 25# bag mixing okay until i broke the shaft twice you have to split the batch to save your mixer

thd 60 qt is the smallest recommended by Hobart for 25# flour. For reasons you found out!

Mike, find out the model number. I just looked up a Hobart d300 (30 qt) and d340 (40 qt). According to the seller’s site, the 30 qt is 115v single phase with a 3/4 hp motor. The d340 shows to be 208v three phase with a 1.5hp motor. I know in the 60 quart line, Hobart has as little as 1.5hp (maybe even 1hp) up to at least 2hp and higher I believe. Hobart is a good company to call for customer service. They’ve helped me out with questions on used mixers before.

Last edited:
A lot will depend upon the speed at which you will be mixing your doughs at. In many cases capacities are based on mixing only at the lowest/slowest speed which might take forever and a long day to mix out a dough (realistically 20-minutes or more) while many of us will use second or medium speed for the high speed mixing which results in a better mix due to improved mixing action and a lot shorter mixing time (usually around 8 to 10-minutes) which also provides us with better temperature control (finished dough temperature). If you have a reverse spiral dough arm you can mix at low speed and eventually get a decent dough but if you have an old fashion “J” hook the dough just grabs onto the hook and goes for a free ride getting poor mixing action which results in very inconsistent doughs. The only solution here is to mix the dough at a high enough speed to force the dough off of the “J” hook.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Back