Continue to Site

How to hire a full-time employee?

NYFLPizza

I’m typically able to find the part-time HS kids w.o much of a problem. Friends of friends, etc. For the most part we have a good group of kids working right now.

The tough part is finding a few people who are available to work during the day. People who are content with this being their full time job. A job that they can see themselves doing now and in the future.

How do you go about finding these people? I only get HS kids coming in to apply for jobs. Very rarely do I get a reasonable adult come in looking for work.

I placed an anonymous type of ad on craigslist just to see the response I’d get and I was a bit spooked when I did some quick background checks on some of these people.

Thoughts…?

Last edited:
This has been one of our major problems. What I have found is it just takes time to find the right responsible person. Having said that, my best employees are 25ish, married, and are working part time to supplement their income. I know that this does not answer your question but I think that we will never get the employee that you are looking for
48.png
NYFLPizza:
People who are content with this being their full time job. A job that they can see themselves doing now and in the future.

Last edited:
Right now my best employees are kids I’ve had from high school who are now college kids, but are approaching that point where they’re done with local school and will be heading out of town.

I’m looking for an adult who has already been there done that type of thing.

I know others who have had luck with finding people. A good friend of mine in the industry has two 30+ year olds that work 60+ hours weekly for his busy shop.

I’d like to get one guy at 40!

Last edited:
Don’t forget to look at hiring Veterans!

Offer benefits.

Salary that full-timer for 40 hours/week so both parties have guarantees of time and money.

Medical Insurance and Vacation Time give you an advantage (sometimes a huge advantage) over many other companies. As a small business with less than 25 full-time employees you can take advantage of the Affordable Care Act health-insurance credits - it pays 35% of your cost in 2013 and 50% in 2014 - 2019.

Also, a weekly bonus goes a long way towards retaining managers and keeping the focus on controlling key costs.

Last edited:
I don’t think we have ever hired a full time person off the street that has worked out in the long run. We have about 25 full timers and they all started part timers.

Last edited:
brad randall:
As a small business with less than 25 full-time employees you can take advantage of the Affordable Care Act health-insurance credits - it pays 35% of your cost in 2013 and 50% in 2014 - 2019
Off topic, but I did not know about this. I guess I have to do more research on the Act. I haven’t given it much interest because I assumed it really wouldn’t affect me being under 50 employees.

Does that mean I can take the credit on my own health insurance as well?

Last edited:
  1. The adult full timer is going to cost more per hour than the kids. If you get one that works hard, they are worth it so don’t get bogged down about paying a couple more $$s per hour.
  2. They are still not going to stay around longer than a year or two unless they see progression to higher responsibility and pay. You just have to recognize that that is the way it is and wish them well when they leave.

Last edited:
When I was an F & B Director during he '84 Fair in N.O., I paid my breakfast cook $15/hr…quite pricey in those days…

But I never had to come in & cook breakfast again…lol…

Last edited:
In most places, paying two dollars an hour more than the average in your area will get and keep the best cooks around… and as long as you have the best ones, there is no question that they are worth the money. Better cooks can handle more business and are capable of maintaining portion control, reducing waste when prepping etc etc.

They are actually cheaper even though they get paid more.

Last edited:
Back