Continue to Site

How to Make Pretzel Crust

Liz_Barrett_PMQ

PMQ Editor at Large
With everyone doing something with pretzels nowadays (buns, sticks, etc.), have any of you experimented with a pretzel pizza crust?

I asked Tom “The Dough Doctor” Lehmann if he had any suggestions and he came back with a full set of instructions and photos (find it all here: http://tinyurl.com/mtpda5c)

Do you think you’d ever experiment with this? I’m really curious to know if this is something that’s viable as a custom (upcharge) pizza in the industry.

–Liz

Last edited:
While it sounds interesting and may be a novelty thing to bump sales I don’t like the idea of having the caustic solution around the kitchen during the dinner rush. There are too many things that can go wrong especially with young, somewhat immature workers. I am curious and may try it for fun, but not to put into production.

Rick

Last edited:
Hi Rick,

I agree that the sodium hydroxide method would not be the best way to go in a busy pizzeria. The baking soda solution that Tom Lehmann talked about would be much easier and safer.

Let us know if you try it!

Liz

Last edited:
Ive done it before for a St. Patrick’s day special, and again for all of October for an Oktoberfest themed pizza. People loved it. I’d keep it around but we like to put specials like that on moratorium, and it was a pain in the butt. I would be concerned about safety, but we make our own pretzels anyway so my folks are well aware of the dangers of working with lye.

Last edited:
Back