Continue to Site

How to shorten dough conditioning

Pizza_stop

We have a small shop in a tourist beach town. We do enough business in the off season to justify staying open all year but we are obviously much busier in the summer. One week of winter sales equals one day of summer sales. The problem that I am having is that my finished product is MUCH better in the winter. We make one 50lb batch of dough a day in the winter. Cross stack the trays in the walk-in for a few hours and use the dough 3-5 days later. It’s perfect. Summer time I need to make 4-6 batches a day. I can only store 6 batches in my walk in. Adding more refrigerator space is not an option. If I try to make the dough a little warmer, or shorten the cross stack time then it’s blown out the next day. I do realize the temperature (frequently over 100 degrees) and the humidity in the shop have a lot to do with the finished product. My question is…is there anything I can do to achieve a similar end result in a day or 2? Maybe some different dough management or bulk fermenting? Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
We have a small shop in a tourist beach town. We do enough business in the off season to justify staying open all year but we are obviously much busier in the summer. One week of winter sales equals one day of summer sales. The problem that I am having is that my finished product is MUCH better in the winter. We make one 50lb batch of dough a day in the winter. Cross stack the trays in the walk-in for a few hours and use the dough 3-5 days later. It’s perfect. Summer time I need to make 4-6 batches a day. I can only store 6 batches in my walk in. Adding more refrigerator space is not an option. If I try to make the dough a little warmer, or shorten the cross stack time then it’s blown out the next day. I do realize the temperature (frequently over 100 degrees) and the humidity in the shop have a lot to do with the finished product. My question is…is there anything I can do to achieve a similar end result in a day or 2? Maybe some different dough management or bulk fermenting? Thanks for any advice.
DONT CROSS STACK YOUR DOUGH TO COOL. USE SOME ICE WATER AND IMMEDIATELY COVER AND IT WILL BE GOOD TO USE THE NEXT DAY

Last edited:
Back