Continue to Site

IL Labor Laws for "breaks" for a shift under 6 hou

Integraoligist

I’m trying to find any type of labor laws (Federal or just IL) that say what the minimum “breaks” are for employees that work UNDER 8 hours a day.

My morning shift works 5 1/2 hours a day.
My night shift works 6 hours a day.

As far as I know, there are NO breaks for anyone if they are not at least on an 8 hour shift… plus I keep getting a couple of employees that “need” to take smoking breaks (which I do not allow).

I’ve been looking on the Illinois Dept. of Labor site but can’t seem to find any info on any type of mandatory breaks.

Help?
Thanks all!

Last edited:
Re: IL Labor Laws for “breaks” for a shift under 6
What is the law regarding breaks and meal periods?
An employee who is to work 7 1/2 continuous hours or more shall be provided an unpaid meal period of at least 20 minutes. The meal period must be given to an employee no later than 5 hours after beginning work. Illinois has no law regarding breaks.
From this website http://www.state.il.us/agency/idol/faq/qaodrisa.htm

Last edited:

Don’t know where Fed and State differences are but here in California its 30 minute breaks for 6 hours and two “on -the-clock” 15 minute breaks for whatever. After all, people can’t be expected to work the whole time they are at work.

Last edited:

For Texas:
There is no current legislation in the state of Texas requiring an employer to provide breaks - they are optional. Work schedules, including breaks, regular hours and overtime hours, are left to the discretion of the employer and are usually based on the needs of the business. However, if breaks are given, the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) has guidelines on this issue. If “coffee breaks/rest breaks,” consisting of 20 minutes or less are given, they must be paid. They are paid because they are considered to be beneficial to the employer since they generally promote productivity and efficiency on the part of the employee. “Lunch breaks,” defined as a break of 30 minutes or longer for the purpose of eating a meal, where the employee is fully relieved of duties (performing no work), do not have to be paid.
Interesting to note that the U.S. DOL does not mandate breaks. It only defines whether or not the employee must be paid if given breaks.

Last edited:

thanks for the Quote Dewar never knew that . 😉

Last edited:

arduous, Texas is really a employer-friendly state. Be sure to read all the stuff out there, remembering that federal law trumps state law. Also, the fewer employees you have, the fewer federal statutes apply to you. But the best insurance against employee griping and lawsuits is to respect them as you want to be respected. Work as hard as you want them to work. Hold yourself to the standards you hold for them. They are the gasoline of your store engine.

Last edited:

Thanks all for the insight!

So, here in IL, no breaks for anyone under 7.5 hours… my main concern was “smoking” breaks, I can’t stand it when they want to go outside every 15 min. for a “quick smoke”. It makes them stink and customers don’t appreciate it. :cry:
No smoke breaks for anyone… EVER!
:twisted:

Last edited:
48.png
Integraoligist:
I’m trying to find any type of labor laws (Federal or just IL) that say what the minimum “breaks” are for employees that work UNDER 8 hours a day.

My morning shift works 5 1/2 hours a day.
My night shift works 6 hours a day.

As far as I know, there are NO breaks for anyone if they are not at least on an 8 hour shift… plus I keep getting a couple of employees that “need” to take smoking breaks (which I do not allow).

I’ve been looking on the Illinois Dept. of Labor site but can’t seem to find any info on any type of mandatory breaks.

Help?
Thanks all!
WOW, there are Laws and then there are ethical business practices. Are you kidding?

PD

Last edited:

What do you mean, PizzaDiva? You think someone needs a mandatory break for 5 1/2 hours of work?

Last edited:
Back