Continue to Site

Is a hood required above a commercial dishwasher?

mandino

Does anyone have this or know the answer to this. Obviously it would probably depend on local building codes.

Last edited:
I think you just answered your own question. George Mills Im sure would be able to advise further.

Last edited:
It wasn’t required for me, but I put one in anyway. That steam makes the kitchen a sauna (or steam bath I suppose) in the summer. You will either pay for it up front by installing a hood, or pay more over the long run in A/C bills.

Last edited:
The only “hoods” I’ve seen over dishwashers were solid boxes - no exhaust fan. It just catches the steam and lets it fall back down as water.

Do people really put powered exhaust hoods over dishwashers?

Last edited:
The only “hoods” I’ve seen over dishwashers were solid boxes - no exhaust fan. It just catches the steam and lets it fall back down as water.

Do people really put powered exhaust hoods over dishwashers?

Last edited:
Yes. I have had vented hoods in 2 of 3 stores with a dish washer.

I hadn’t even heard of just a box, seems kind of pointless.

Last edited:
Yeah, I always thought they were pointless too.

I have to admit, I’ve never seen an power exhausted hood over a dishwasher. I wish I had one though!

Last edited:
here they require a exhaust hood, and make up air for dishwashers, our newest one has small 20" x 5" hoods over the entrance and exit of the dish machine, so all the steam goes out the exhaust hood, it is soo frickin nice, no more swamp butt after 2-3 hours in the pit.

sheb

Last edited:
I am glad someone else chimed in here. I though I might have been the only one who knew the benefits of the dish washer hood. I have never experienced ‘swamp butt’, and hope I never do, but I can attest to the lower A/C bills.

Last edited:
Hi Guys:

Some great posts above.

To my knowledge a non filtered hood with an exhaust fan is required and the air exhauster must be replaced by your make up air system or if you have a large enough A/C (HVAC) system you should be able to count from 130 to 160 CFM of air per ton of A/C as make up air check for your local requirements.

Your hood should be sized 6 in overlap on the front of your dish washer and 18 inches on the intake and on the discharge side. You will need up to 200 cfm of exhaust for each foot of hood edge that is not against a wall check with your building department they often limit that exhaust air to 1000 cfm for larger systems and 600 cfm for single tank systems. You will have to add the exhaust cfm of that hood to the make up air supplied to your building.

There are a few jurisdictions that will not require a hood over a lo temp chemical rinse dishwasher but as pointed out by many of those postings above, it would be best to always have a powered hood for comfort and to keep kitchen humidity down.

In most jurisdictions under counter chemical rinse dish washers do not require ventilation. Again check with your Building Dept.

George Mills

Last edited:
Back