Continue to Site

Keeping the heat in!!

I have a couple of Vulcan ovens and like all ovens, they give off a certain amount of heat out from the edges of the doors. In the summer time, it contributes to the heat in the kitchen which makes the air conditioner work harder.

In order to reduce my summertime costs, I’m starting to look around now for anything to reduce the amount of heat coming out through the doors when they’re closed. Has anyone found anything to use to help out? Plus, it would reduce my propane costs if it wasn’t leaking out.

Last edited:
Fireside Pizzeria:
like all ovens, they give off a certain amount of heat out from the edges of the doors.
Mine don’t 8)

Have you thought about an oven type hood?

Last edited:
I already have a hood system. These are older ovens and they tend to leak a little. Steve, I’m glad to hear that your don’t, but I’m looking for someone who has an idea on how to fix the problem.

Last edited:
Well I’m glad Steveo chimed in here because my first thought was if his leaked or not 😛

Kidding aside, we have a store that put a vent right above the oven opening the sucks out the air up through a shoot to the roof. Its not very strong as to pull heat from the oven but it seems to work. Another store has the same floor plan and oven and it is much hotter during the summer months but it only has one AC instead of two. We just put the one AC in the second store last year and it really didn’t help too much during the hot summer. If the budget allows, we are going to put in a second AC in a couple months. Our big oven just gives off too much heat for one AC for the whole store.

Last edited:
I believe George Mills will be able to guide you on this one. He is the Expert on Hood/Ventilation systems.

Last edited:
As I originally posted, I have a hood system. I’m looking for something to keep the heat in the oven better. As mine has aged, the door has sagged just a little. I’m looking to anything to put around the door to seal it better.

Last edited:
I would wrap the entire oven in aluminum foil. :lol:

Actually, are you talking about the radiant heat emanating from the oven? If so, there is not much you can do about it. I have thought about this as well. Some kind of thermal shade that would reflect the heat back. No such beast that I could find though.

Last edited:
Fireside Pizzeria:
As I originally posted, I have a hood system. I’m looking for something to keep the heat in the oven better. As mine has aged, the door has sagged just a little. I’m looking to anything to put around the door to seal it better.
The heat leaks around the door because it’s old. I am looking for something to line the door too keep more heat in.

Last edited:
Perhaps you could have some sort of apron fabricated that would attach to the oven body and go in a few inches. The door would close against the apron and your gaps would be sealed.

It would make your oven opening a little smaller, but I could visualize it on my oven and I don’t think it would be a problem.

I’d think it would be an easy job for a steel shop to fabricate and weld it in place. It would probably be much cheaper than buying new doors too.

Last edited:
These ovens should come with a seal around the door. What about something like the parts from here: http://www.appliance411.com/parts/generic-parts.shtml

I found the deck oven I bought also leaks around the door (both the burner door and main door) and has no seal. I would like to try installing one to keep more heat in.

As for heat loss on the top and sides and bottom, there are pieces of insulation board you can put on the oven to keep the heat in, just don’t block the holes where it sucks in fresh air. The problem is they are ugly. Also, if you use the top of the deck oven to keep pizzas which are ready for pick up hot, then if you insulate it, they aren’t going to stay warm.

In general, I do not know why they don’t just insulate the ovens better. For a few hundred dollars up front, you probably could save a few hundred dollars in 1 year.

Last edited:
You can get heat proof gasket material that you can use to reinforce the existing gasket. Beyond that, there isn’t much you can do. One of the things that has improved in newer ovens is the amount of radiant heat they give off.

Last edited:
On my door, it is metal on metal. So I think a braided gasket would help a lot.

I am doing some heat gun tests now, and to my surprise, the BOTTOM of the oven is the hottest, more so than the top. The sides are cooler. I’ll get temp readings when it reaches operating temp.

Last edited:
Hi Jim:

None of the deck ovens I am familiar with have sealing insulation strips around the doors.

I have never seen it done, but you might be able to glue the gaskets suggested by Patrick to the doors.

George Mills

Last edited:
Back