Continue to Site

Left Money on table

I have a question for everybody. Last Saturday I had 2 couples come in for dinner. I did not recognize them & they paid with cash. They left an envelope with a thank you card inside with almost $300 inside of it in cash. All that is on the envelope is 1st names & the same with the card inside is only 1st names of people I do not know. My employee who found the money thinks it is hers because she found it, What would you do? It has been a week now & nobody has called to claim it. Should I keep it or give it to her :?:

Last edited:
Hang on to it for a couple more weeks, and possibly even let your local PD know incase someone calls them about it. thats an awful lot to just hand over to an employee because it was found on a table.

Last edited:
The money clearly belongs to the customer not the employee! Contact your local PD. Place a “found” ad in the local classified “Leave some money in an envelope? Tell me how much and where you left it to confirm” (I assume you would recognize them if they came in and asked?)

No way I would give it to the employee or anyone else for at least 30 days. In the end, if they came back in 60 days later and asked for it you would give it to them right?

I do not see where it would go to the employee under any circumstances. It was left in your place of business not her living room or on a public sidewalk someplace. If unclaimed after 90 days I would spend it on an employee bowling night or something. That way if the customer claimed it later and you paid it back, the money you paid would have been worthwhile. Sorry to the employee… but I just don’t see how it would end up being hers.

Last edited:
Well put (as always) Ron!

DON’T GIVE IT TO THE SERVER!!! Put it away till it’s claimed, or as Ron suggested, use it to benefit ALL the staff somehow, and cheerfully cough it up if it’s claimed at a later date!

Last edited:
My thinking: “Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention - a dishonest person would have just taken the money and not said a word to anyone. You did the right thing and the next step is try and locate the people this belongs to. If the proper owners can’t be found, then it belongs to you.”

I just don’t see how that money would be mine because it was found in my place of business any more than it would belong to my landlord because it was found inside his building. If you take that money from her she will forever resent it and you can be sure no other employee will ever alert you to finding something in your store again.

Last edited:
I have thought about this since the original post was made a few day ago. I think that I would turn it over to the police. The City should have a lost and found account and that would be the end of my responsibility for it.

Last edited:
Don’t underestimate your repeat business…everyone should be on the look out for these people. Might be some great PR if you actually are patient enough to find them…even if they just tell a hundred or so people…LOL.

Think about yourself…how awesome would it be if you lost 300 bucks and someone went above and beyond the call of duty to find you.

Keep us posted…

Last edited:
Back