Continue to Site

?Lehman

stevew51

Hello Tom, Right now I use a recipe similar to your ny style recipe to make a ny style crust and it is very good. I am now interested in developing a good deep dish crust so I am using your suggested deep dish recipe as a starting point. I see that the basic differences are a weaker flour, a little more yeast, more water, added sugar, and increrased oil. I am guessing that the increased yeast and water are to aid in the rising proccess and that the increased sugar and oil help to achieve a richer crust. My 1st question is: Are these assumptions correct? My 2nd question is: Will replacing the oil with butter or shortening give the charectaristioc of a richer more buttery finished crust. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Last edited:
Steve;
I used to have an old professor who used to compliment his students by calling then a “pretty smart cookie”. I hope you wil also accept that compliment, you’re a pretty smart cookie. Right on all assumptions. You most certainly can replace the oil with butter, or a butter flavored table grade margarine and you will get a rich, and buttery flavor similar to that of a Chicago chain, specializing in deep-dish pizzas. Use a butter flavored margarine (Bluebonnet) in the pan to add that extrs burst of butter flavor when you first wrap your lips around a slice.
Excuse me, I’ve gotta go…I’m about to have another pizza attack! This is making me hungry!
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Back