Continue to Site

mailboxes

Rockstar_pizza

Staff member
ok so just read on pmq, that the guys from note ads says its ok to attack to the OUTSIDE of the mailbox, I was told that you can not do ANYTHING to the mailbox…inside, outside, lip or flag…can I get some clarification on this

Last edited:
Although I’ve not used NoteAds personally (a bit pricey when compared to others) I have used that “gimmick” 2x b4 - each time mimicking a “delivery notice” and put them on the doors…reasonably successful & will prob do it again later this year…

Last edited:
Royce,
looks like its very conflicting as well,
From what I see and have read. the actual federal law states IN the mailbox but the USPS has took it upon them selves on there sight to add outside, as well as the flag…
what I would like is one of the proof readers that should have verified this before putting into the mag (its an article not and ad) IT makes a huge difference when door hanging

Last edited:
I do not think it is conflicting at all…To me it looks like you can not touch the mailbox…

Where did Noteads say sticking to the outside was okay?..

Last edited:
http://www.pmq.com/digital/201001/ page 22 quick tip #2

TITLE 18–CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I–CRIMES

CHAPTER 83–POSTAL SERVICE

Sec. 1725. Postage unpaid on deposited mail matter

Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits any mailable matter such as statements of accounts, circulars, sale bills, or other like matter, on
which no postage has been paid, in any letter box established, approved, or accepted by the Postal Service for the receipt or delivery of mail
matter on any mail route with intent to avoid payment of lawful postage thereon, shall for each such offense be fined under this title.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 784; Pub. L. 91-375, Sec. 6(j)(33), Aug. 12, 1970, 84 Stat. 780; Pub. L. 103-322, title XXXIII, Sec. 330016(1)(F), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)

Historical and Revision Notes

Based on title 18, U.S.C., 1940 ed., Sec. 321a (May 7, 1934, ch. 220, Sec. 2, 48 Stat. 667).
Reference to persons aiding or assisting was struck out as unnecessary since such persons are made principals by section 2 of this title.
Minor verbal changes were made.

Amendments

1994–Pub. L. 103-322 substituted fined under this title'' for fined not more than $300’’.
1970–Pub. L. 91-375 substituted Postal Service'' for Postmaster General’’.

Effective Date of 1970 Amendment

Amendment by Pub. L. 91-375 effective within 1 year after Aug. 12, 1970, on date established therefor by Board of Governors of United States Postal Service and published by it in Federal Register, see section 15(a) of Pub. L. 91-375, set out as an Effective Date note preceding section 101 of Title 39, Postal Service.

According to this. The law says “in any letter box…” is unlawful. Nothing about the “flags” or the “post it sits on” or “on” the outside of the box. I don’t know! The same people who complain about it “on” the mailbox will complain about it “on” their front door. Just throw it away if you don’t want it. I’m just starting my business, I don’t have a lot of money for postage, but I do have a lot of time.

Last edited:
Its not the people who complain, its the USPS - the mail person will be the one to bust you 1st…

Consider a traditional door hanger or something similar - time well spent…cheaper too!

Last edited:
Unless the word “in” is defined in the legislation, a common dictionary definition can apply…I found this definition:
“a. Within the limits, bounds, or area of:”
But if they argue that this common definition applies then they are right…

2nd it seems the USP can pass its own rules which seem to be much clearer on the subject…

Last edited:
I’m not sure if it’s legal but I would be careful if you are taping anything to painted objects (mailboxes, doors, etc) - there is a woman at my work who got a brand new mailbox purchased by the store because the tape on a flyer ripped off the paint on her old box.

Last edited:
I’ve always thought it was illegal to do just about anything to the mailbox or the post.

But looking at the law quoted above, I focus on the word “mailable”. Aren’t there minimum dimensions required for a mail piece? What if your item was smaller than those dimensions - it wouldn’t be “mailable”.

Or how about a piece that doesn’t have an address? That isn’t mailable either.

Does that make it legal to put inside the mailbox?

Last edited:
I am pretty sure if there was away around the law, the folks that sell you printed material for “self distribution” would be all over it…For example, I have not seen anything from Chris at Taradel on this subject that shows away to do it…

Last edited:
Beyond the legality of it, is it a good idea to use Note Ads on a whole neighborhood of mailboxes? A nice breeze and you just coated the entire neighborhood with litter. I think that would cause more ill-will than it’s worth. I know I would not be pleased if I was fishing advertisements out of my landscaping. Maybe it’s just me - I’m anti-doorhanging as well.

Last edited:
Hi I staple a rubber band to a menu that has coupons in it and wrap it around the top of the mailbox post also works very well for door hangers they dont blow off when its windy

Last edited:
When unsure about the specifics of the law, I tend to consult the local enforcing agent. Call the postmaster and ask how he/she manages it in your district. A little forarmed actual, real live information can save fines and hardship later. I have asked he locally periodically to get the current mindset . . . we have not gone the route to put things on mailboxes yet, but we may do so very soon.

Last election had people plastering flyers on mailboxes, so I am going with that as my “equal treatment under the law” locally when I approach the new postmaster. Always have a good realtionship with the postal workers and police.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I received a not so friendly letter from the postmaster. Enclosed was a flier and menu from our store. These had been retrieved from a bag hung from the flag on the mailbox. An employee was out door hanging and decided to take a shortcut. She also included photos showing the entire street done this way. The letter informed me that I could be required to pay postage for all of the items we improperly placed on the mail boxes and also pay a fine. This time was a warning, the next offense might be prosecuted, I have a decent relationship with the post office here, they are only a couple of hundred yards away and order frequently so I don’t think they would jerk me around. We don’t touch the mail box.

Last edited:
I just wanted everyone to know that Ron did bring this to my attention and I let the folks at NoteAds know about the concern with the USPS. I have to give my interviewee the benefit of the doubt and assume that he thought it was only the inside of the mailboxes that the USPS had control over–which is what I believed as well. After Ron brought this up I saw that the USPS considers the entire mailbox (inside and out) its property.

The best practice is probably always to ask before you’re going to do something you’ve never done before if you’re unsure of the legalities in your area. I apologize for the confusion this tip caused, but I appreciate our readers taking the time to come to me with questions and concerns–it’s the only way we can bring you the publication you expect and deserve.

Liz Barrett, editor-in-chief
PMQ Pizza Magazine
[email protected]

Last edited:
Back