Continue to Site

Marsal Oven Help! Switched from Old Blodgett 1000's

Tomatopieguy

Hi there,

Im hoping someone might have some insight for me. We just moved our restaurant to a renovated building we purchased, and the restaurant space is about 4 times what we used to have. Even in our old space, the old Blodgett 1000’s we were running for the last 5 years started to have trouble keeping up. Even though those ovens were sort of beloved it was time for a change. In the new place, our kitchen is completely open and we went with Marsal MB600 with a WF60 on top. The problem is that I’m having difficulty dialing these ovens in. With the Blodgetts we would back at max temp, around 650 ish. Our dough recipe does not include sugar or dairy, we rely on cold fermentation with just flour, water, salt, yeast and olive oil. With the blodgetts we baked directly on the deck using fine polenta or semolina. Using he same method at same temp, with same dough recipe, I’m getting really dark bottoms. The bottom oven is so hot the first pies in burn immediately on the bottom. This is with semolina.
and we’re not even using the side boost burner in the WF60.

Does anyone have any advice with adapting to the Marsal’s? Thank you. I really love the ovens and need to dial it in.

Thanks so much,

Last edited:
I have marsal 660 stacked in my store. We got rid of our bakers pride ovens back about 10 years ago.

We bake at 550 degrees on screens for about 8 minutes.
A good oven tender in needed as turning and removing the screen and crisping the pie up on the stone is needed.
When both ovens are running, the top oven tends to get hotter then the bottom because of extra heat coming from the bottom oven.

Marshal makes a great oven . I would call them and ask about your dilemma. They were always helpful to me with everything. They let me come to their kitchen and test the oven out before purchasing.

631-226-6688

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I gave them a call and they routed me to blodgett support. Who told me basically to make sure the stones are right side up, which they are.
I have marsal 660 stacked in my store. We got rid of our bakers pride ovens back about 10 years ago.

We bake at 550 degrees on screens for about 8 minutes.
A good oven tender in needed as turning and removing the screen and crisping the pie up on the stone is needed.
When both ovens are running, the top oven tends to get hotter then the bottom because of extra heat coming from the bottom oven.

Marshal makes a great oven . I would call them and ask about your dilemma. They were always helpful to me with everything. They let me come to their kitchen and test the oven out before purchasing.

631-226-6688

Last edited:
That’s right. I heard they sold the company years ago.

Maybe try dropping the temperature a little and increasing baking time?

Last edited:
Are you ovens really at the temperature your think they are? I recall @Tom Lehmann calling the dial on the oven a “wish-o-stat” meaning they are what you want but not necessarily what you get. Have you used a thermometer to check the actual oven temperature?

Last edited:
Chances are that your Blodgett ovens were not operating at the requested temperature as it also is possible the new ovens are not.

Just because your wish o stat is set at a temperature does not assure that temperature is being achieved.

You need a grill thermometer its about the size of a hockey puck and reads the temperature of the surface it is placed Also an oven thermometer th hang in the chamber to determine the upper temp.

George Mills

Last edited:
I’d like to offer a couple of comments. I recently posted on the availability of a very economical infrared non-contact thermometer from Menard’s (I bought two) for measuring the deck temperature as well as mapping the deck on a wood fired oven. As for the greater bottom heat in the Marsal ovens as previously noted, it can be due to a difference in actual deck temperature or it can be due to the amount of latent heat stored in the Marsal oven’s deck. This will have a dramatic impact upon the bottom crust color. If that’s the case your options are to bake at a lower temperature or bake on a screen and then “deck” the pizzas for the last 30 to 60-seconds.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Thanks so much. I picked up one of those infrared thermometers and am realizing that the decks in the new Marsals are pretty uneven. The back left corner area of both ovens seem to run about 100-125 degrees hotter. I can’t imagine why as the burners are in the same pattern on both sides. I’m also curious about this “no turn” marketing point they use since I’m finding I need to rotate pies even more than in my old blodgett 1000’s. I just sent an email to Marsal this afternoon and am waiting for a reply. Do you think it is possible that I need to modify my dough recipe? We’re at about 61.5 pct hydration and use semolina on the deck. I’m having issues with uneven baking. Primarily with the bottoms being too dark on one side of oven. I appreciate your insight! Thanks!
I’d like to offer a couple of comments. I recently posted on the availability of a very economical infrared non-contact thermometer from Menard’s (I bought two) for measuring the deck temperature as well as mapping the deck on a wood fired oven. As for the greater bottom heat in the Marsal ovens as previously noted, it can be due to a difference in actual deck temperature or it can be due to the amount of latent heat stored in the Marsal oven’s deck. This will have a dramatic impact upon the bottom crust color. If that’s the case your options are to bake at a lower temperature or bake on a screen and then “deck” the pizzas for the last 30 to 60-seconds.
Than

Last edited:
I don’t know of a newer deck oven that you don’t have to rotate the pies. I know many people having to use screens as well with newer deck ovens. This is one reason I love our 1000’s - no rotating/even top bottom browning. Walter

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m starting to miss my old 1000’s!
I don’t know of a newer deck oven that you don’t have to rotate the pies. I know many people having to use screens as well with newer deck ovens. This is one reason I love our 1000’s - no rotating/even top bottom browning. Walter

Last edited:
I am sure you will figure out the new ovens but may have to use screens for part of the bake as well as rotate. I sent you a message asking if you still had the 1000’s and if they are for sale. Walter

Last edited:
When someone explains to me how their ovens are not affected by opening the door as well as not impacting the bake by having radiant heat coming from both the bottom and sides of the oven I’ll agree that rotating the pizzas during baking is not necessary in a traditional deck oven.
The Marsal ovens are great ovens BUT it has been my experience that you still need to rotate the pizzas during baking for the best overall bake.

Last edited:
When someone explains to me how their ovens are not affected by opening the door as well as not impacting the bake by having radiant heat coming from both the bottom and sides of the oven I’ll agree that rotating the pizzas during baking is not necessary in a traditional deck oven.
The Marsal ovens are great ovens BUT it has been my experience that you still need to rotate the pizzas during baking for the best overall bake.
I have a deck oven and I never have to rotate pizzas. It’s a Veroforno oven. Best deck oven in the world. There are only a few of them in the United States. Easy to get parts for too!

Last edited:
I have 6 marsals. You have to rotate them. Some of them are better than others. They are not very complicated ovens and rarely break. However, we are currently having a problem with one, and they seem to be a stepchild of blodgett support. Nobody seems to have any idea, also being in the middle of nowhere does not help. 6 months and no luck. Something to consider

Last edited:
Back