Continue to Site

MIXERS !

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
S

system

what kind of mixer mixes dough best for pizza

in other words, what is the performance difference between planetary, vertical, spiral, and barrel mixers?
…and are there other type mixers out there ?

I have a barrel mixer,
http://www.food-equipment.com/Fleetwood … mixers.htm

it sure looks good folding the dough, but is there any advantage or disadvantage in the result…I mix a few minutes longer in the barrel mixer than the plantetary because it seems like it needs it.
I have not used a vertical ot spiral mixer,
Otis

Tom mentioned something about “Wonder Bread” that let the dough sit and then folding it again for some advantage that I do not remember…
Tom, can you please tell us again ?

Otis;
Continental Baking used to use the “fatigue dough” method of making bread dough. They would actually overmix the dough to some extent as this allowed the protein to open up a bit, allowing them to add a couple percent more water to the dough, they would then open the mixer door slightly to allow fresh air (oxygen) to enter into the mixer barrel and tumble the dough at low speed, this would allow for re-oxidizing of the gluten/protein bonds, thus re-strengthening the dough, allowing it to be processed in the normal manner. Like I’ve always said, bread technology is a whole lot different than pizza technology. No, you would not want to do this with a pizza dough, try as I might, I can’t come up with any benefits. But if you were ITT Continental, making more than 50,000-pounds of dough per day, from each of your bakeries, and you could get 2% more dough yield using this mixing method, the advantages ($$$$$) are pretty clear.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Tom,
So in other words, they did it just to increase the volume by the additional water added. It does not increase quality I take it.
Being here in the desert with humidity near 0% sometimes, I use a mister to keep the dough from getting crusty between the mixer and when I get it ball and coated with oil.
I do not think that adds an appreciate amount, just keeps it handling better.

How’s the pizza week going ?
Wish I was there.
Otis

Otis;
The course has been going great. We are just finishing up with the suppliers presentations. We’got some new ones this year. Planetary mixers and conveyor hearth ovens, plus the new pizza dough spinner from Rheon.
This afternoon we wil go out into the shop and begin making dough and sauce for use during the remainder of the week. I really want to see the new dough spinner by Rheon in operation. They say it is as good as a hand tossed and it will form six (6) dough skins per minute. The rest of the week will be the real fun part as we will be out in the shop most of the time.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
that rheon spinner sounds interesting…
I could not find a site for them, except for huge assembly line stuff that a site was selling…
must be something very new
enjoy the week, I know it is interesting there,
Otis

Otis;
That was their web site. Nothing but the latest and greatest for our students! Its a new item for them to bring to the pizza table. Designed for the pizzeria and priced at about $6,000.00. I’ll let you know how it works.
Tom Lehmann/TDD

Last edited:
Thanks
It looks huge for an independent pizzeria, especially my trailer,
Otis

Otis;
The “Spinner” is only about a 26-inch cube and it sits on a bench top. This is roughly the size of your average Hix, Somerset, or Dough-Pro bench top hot press.
Tom Lehmann/TDD

Last edited:
Back