Continue to Site

More space for cold items on the make line...

souspizzaiolo

Hey y’all. I need to store more prepped product and bigger containers of it on my make line for service. We are just as busy as can be and are reaching down into the doors too much. We need to be using big hotel pans of pizza cheese on the make, not filling and washing 1/3 pan after 1/3pan after 1/3 pan. Same thing for 'zauce, but we just don’t have any room left or right or behind for a longer make line…

So I was thinking of ways to get more room there, and I had the idea of mounting the longest prep rail I can find about 12 inches above the current make table. The lids of the current make table would have to go except for overnight, and we’d have to keep individual lids on the food during service. I think I got some anchor points there that I can get to hold something that heavy…

Here’s a quick photoshop job…Anyone see any pitfalls here? Something easier and more conventional than I’m thinking? Thanks

Last edited:
Depending on how quickly you go through it, you may try holding your sauce at room temperature. Someone on here can chime in on the proper procedure - its only 2 hours I think that it can be held at room temp. But this would give you some more space.

Is a longer prep table out of the question?

Last edited:
No more room left or right. Skyward is the only place to go. I think that we could get away with keeping sauce out. I think the biggest challenge will be getting the top unit high enough to get in the bottom unit and clean everything out really well and be able to get bins in and out of it easily, while keeping the top unit low enough to be accessible to the shorties on staff.

Last edited:
Marsal & Sons makes a double decker prep table like what you’re thinking of doing: Prep Table Supreme. So there’s your proof of concept!

We had one of those separate ones like you’re thinking about at a store I worked at back in college. It was specifically designed to mount on the wall and the well was angled to make reaching into the pans easier - that one you pictured looks more like a counter top model. This is sort of like what we used: Pan Chillers - Foster Refrigerator.

Another option, if you’re storing the crocks of sauce under the make line, is to run a sanitary pump from the crock up through the line. I swear I’ve seen a company that makes them specifically for pizza as we thought about buying one to dispense our half-dozen pizza sauces, but I can’t dig it up on Google right now.

Last edited:
i looked at items like the prep table supreme, and i like em, but they don’t afford anymore cold real estate. They just keep the peel handles further away from everyone’s waist right? Those Foster pan chillers look cool! They’re long! Just what I need. Thank you!

Last edited:
Another option, if you’re storing the crocks of sauce under the make line, is to run a sanitary pump from the crock up through the line. I swear I’ve seen a company that makes them specifically for pizza as we thought about buying one to dispense our half-dozen pizza sauces, but I can’t dig it up on Google right now.
hmmm, sounds like an awesome product! We have quite a few sauces we use as well, that would be convenient!

Last edited:
Silver king makes a unit that holds 12 -1/6 pans or 6- 1/3 size pans It is about 57 in long.

I think that the largest unit available. That might do your job.

If you need help call me.

George Mills

Last edited:
There was a company at pizza expo 2014 that had something that was a mix of the Marsal table referenced above and what you are looking for. It had the top rail like the Marsal table but also had the cold storage at the table height like most other tables. Double the storage. I think it was a Randell unit but I think it was modified with the top rail. I’ll see if my brother might remember the company as we talked about having some different customized tables made for us.

Last edited:
Got a price on an 84 in unit but I think it would be to costly for you.

$4495.00 for the unit not including a compressor and condenser which would have to be remote.

If you want me to continue I can get a price for the refrigeration components.

George Mills

Last edited:
George, I have been searching for a good pizza prep table with grates similar to what Dominos uses. I purchased the grate system for my Randell table but it is really meant for nothing bigger than a 14" pizza. Our primary size is a 16" and we also do a few hundred 18" pizzas weekly. Do you know of anything suitable, or would your fabricator be able to create something? The old Dominos Delfield tables were perfect with they are harder to find and I don’t think they meet todays codes.

Last edited:
Hi Paul:

La Rosa builds a prep table like that with a 16 in work surface.

we can get deeper work surfaces from la Rosa but not with the wire racks and catch pans.

George Mills

Last edited:
Back