Continue to Site

Mushrooms

daisy

Why are canadian mushrooms so much more darker than the ones being shipped in from overseas??

Last edited:
Complete wild guess would be that they are a different sub-species. Crimini and white button are really closely related . . . and there are others out there evidently similar, but cultivation industry preferred the white button decades ago. The Canadian supplier you are using probably uses a different kind of mushroom than whoever your oversea one sells. Ask your distributor salesman to find out for you . . . that’s what they do. BTW: you will probably find that the colored ones will have more flavor than the whiter ones.

Not knowing the source of “overseas” would also contribute to our ignorance 🙂

Last edited:
I have a question that relates to this thread. First, the worlds largest producer of mushrooms is in Pennsylvania in those giant limestone mines. Also, if I remember right, it is sunlight that darkens the mushrooms, so growing in the underground mines they come out bright white in color. My question is why would anyone import mushrooms unless they are a specific gourmet brand or type? I would think at least for mushrooms… the cost of domestic would be the best price out there. :?:

Daisy, that’s kind of like asking why the birds outside your window are a certain color. There are a gazilllion species of mushrooms, not all edible, of course. I went to a mushroom identification class one day expecting to learn what I could pick in the wild and eat. I was blown away at all the different species. I learned there’s a lot to learn about mushrooms and it takes years to be able to identify them and speak to the differences, even within a single genus.

Last edited:
48.png
peaceandpizza:
Daisy, that’s kind of like asking why the birds outside your window are a certain color. There are a gazilllion species of mushrooms, not all edible, of course. I went to a mushroom identification class one day expecting to learn what I could pick in the wild and eat. I was blown away at all the different species. I learned there’s a lot to learn about mushrooms and it takes years to be able to identify them and speak to the differences, even within a single genus.
Well spoken in the vast variety of mushrooms out there . . . there is even wide variation among the same varietal grown in different locations and climate/soil combinations. . . . buttons being the one most are familiar with in North America. We in the US get REALLY short-changed when it comes to the varieties available.

Last edited:
qcfmike:
I have a question that relates to this thread.
My question is why would anyone import mushrooms unless they are a specific gourmet brand or type? :?:
Because they would be from Western Australia where we do it better 😛

Last edited:
A high percentage of PA mushrooms are sold as fresh, if you check the data the pounds of PA mushrooms sold as fresh has increased annually and the pounds sold to be processed/canned has decreased. I personally prefer fresh mush on a pizza, but from the input I get from my customers they seem to prefer canned. Customers set the menu.

Last edited:
I do not understand canned mushrooms, but I do see menus that offer both options…

Last edited:
Back