Continue to Site

my first fresh dough

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
S

system

tomorrow I am doing my first fresh dough !
my other dough batches are managed the refrigerator following the Lehmann refrigerated dough method, which I think is the best, and has been working good for me
since I have been running out of dough at the end of the day, I will have 2 batches in the the refrigerator, then,
I will make a batch, 26 pounds to come off the mixer at 80 degrees at 9:00 AM, ball it up, place in dough boxes, coat with olive oil and cross stack and use for my 11:00 opening, and use those balls up by around 3:00…around 5 to 6 hours from off the mixer
then start pulling from the refrigerator, keeping nested for around 90 minutes before starting to use
my formula is GM Harest King flour, 61% water, 3%salt, and .4% IDY
I know I am flirting with consistency, but my goal is to not run out of dough at the end of the day, like I have been doing…any thoughts on this are appreciated
man, am I tired, but it is a good tired,
Otis

another thought we might try/consider again, considering our limited cooler space, is making a sponge dough…I tried once before, but that was long ago…

Last edited:
Patriot'sPizza:
another thought we might try/consider again, considering our limited cooler space, is making a sponge dough…I tried once before, but that was long ago…
have not thought of that, but that maight be flirting with more inconsitency, maybe not though,
Otis

I guess I really don’t get it. As of right now, is there zero dough in your cooler? If you have any dough in your cooler, then you need to come up with a recipe that replaces that dough as you use it. You seem to be looking to use 2 completly different dough recipes, one that gets used within a few hours, never cooled, and one that gets used after 24 hours in the cooler. Don’t make dough to use right now while allowing other dough to rest for 24 hours. You say you will make dough at 9AM to be used from 11 till 3. You say you will cross stack this dough till use, some around 3PM. You will be using crusty, hard to work with crappy dough. I know you have limited cooler space, but I just don’t see why you would plan to use dough that never made it to the cooler. I guess I just don’t get it?

Last edited:
as I understand Otis’ situation - he’s in a trailer! Reckon I wouldn’t find to big of a walk-in there…so he maybe able 2 store some dough, but not enough to run thru the day…

In my case, I only have a 2-door roll-in cooler…can store about 300 DB max…

the idea of a sponge dough would give us some consistency (Otis might be able to store a batch in bulk, then finish it off to rest in trays thru the day)

Last edited:
I’ve seen Otis’ trailer and I know he is very limited in the refrigeration space. From my understanding on his dilema, he has room to store two batches of dough in his current refrigerated space, but he is going through 3 bayches worth of dough each day. To me it would make more sense to make two batches of dough in the evening, to be used in morning/ afternoon, and one batch in the morning to be used in the evening. He may need to adapt his recipe to suit this 10 hour +/- fermentation, but all dough would be much closer to the same than what he is looking to do. I just can’t see how there could be any consistancy when using two completely different procedures.

Last edited:
IF I READ THIS RIGHT,I AGREE THAT THE DOUGH BALLS LEFT OUT CROSS STACKED WILL BE CRUSTED AND POOR TO USE.
THE IDEA TO MAKE THE BATCH IN THE MORNING FOR THE EVENING SEEMS TO BE BETTER FOR OTIS ,IT WOULD BE MORE CONSISTENT WITH HIS PRESENT DOUGH FORMULA…
OTIS IF YOU DO NOT COVER THE BALLS THEY WILL DRY OUT EVEN WITH THE OIL RUB .

Last edited:
thank you for the cross stacking suggestion
on this fresh, nonrefrigerated batch, I’ll cross stackfor a while to get the heat out then nest…in that case, I could cross stack in the refrigerator for an hour then pull to room temperature and nest, to use in the next +or- 4 hours…
my goal is to get one more batch out of a day…
I can get more boxes in my refrigerator, it is a single roll in, will hold 20+, just have to buy some more boxes…one bottleneck is that I am doing 16 pound flour batches, I may be able to squeeze 20 pound flour batches in my existing barrel mixer…
because of the limited space, I cannot make dough and pizza at the same time, a trailer disadvantage
I want to keep my same formula for both refrigerated and fresh dough method…
real solution is to get a big space with a walkin, just working with what I got now…
…with that information, I may chill the fresh dough in the refrigerator for an hour before tempering at room temperature

…BTW, Paul, was business off last weekend because the Gators lost ?
…maybe a good thing for them in the long run, maybe they will do it harder agaist LSU, Go Gators.
thanks for the comments, please do not hesitate to send them,
Otis

…at the end of the day, morning for me actually,
I put my extra batch in the frig to hold & to be used later today…
will be soon that I will make a fresh dough in the morning and use it by 3 PM,
Otis

Back