Continue to Site

Need a mixer

boxofficecafe

The pizza side of our business has really started to take off and we need to finally bite the bullet and purchase a mixer to do our own dough. A local bakery was doing dough for us at a significant cost–which worked for awhile–but no longer.

Our operation is still relatively small, and seasonal. At our busiest we may go through 80lbs of dough in a day. But on average and in the offseason, we’re about 1/2 that.

We’re looking at used Hobarts, and there are a ton of H600s out there, but I keep seeing them referred to as light duty commercial mixers, and that they may struggle doing pizza dough. I’ll spend the money on a bigger mixer if there is a problem on the horizon for us creating the product we need.

But maybe the H600 is plenty of firepower for the size of our operation.

I’d appreciate any thoughts/opinions.

Also, we plan on using the mixer for doing muffins, desserts, granola, etc–so it will be getting a lot of work other than just pizza dough.

Thanks

Last edited:
That 60qt hobart should do the trick with no problem. If you see deal on a 80qt out there grab it, the foot print is about the same.

We used to run 4 - 60qt mixers 8 hours a day making a hand tossed formula that yeilded 74 lbs per batch. Way over the suggested amount. If you stay with in the suggested batch size you will be fine for years to come.

Last edited:
Hi boxofficecafe

I agree with ietapza The Hobart H 600 is a very capable pizza mixer.

There are several horse powered models out there. Try to get a 2 HP unit or at least a 1-1/2 HP.

Be cautious as regards 80 qt mixers. The L 800- 80 Qt is basically a H 600 with a larger bowl. If you can find a good M 802 They are most all 3 HP and a great mixer. Caution again, many M 802 do not have an attachment hub. If you will ever need to utilize an attachment make sure any M 802 has a hub.

George Mills

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick replies. I really appreciate the help! We have to move pretty quickly on this and I didn’t want to be pressed into a bad decision.

Thanks again. Any other opinions out there, I’d love to hear them.

Last edited:
Just a cautionary note:
The H-600 mixers are not designed to take the punishing loads dished out by some pizza doughs. The amount of dough that you will be able to mix at any one time will be determined by the viscosity of your dough. To put it another way, the stiffer the dough, the less you will be able to mix at one time. Keep in mind that the P-660 is designed for both pizza and bagel doughs (they don’t come much tougher) and it will (usually) mix doughs based on a maximum of 50-pounds of flour weight. When using the H-600, I always advise that you begin with doughs based on not more than 40-pounds of flour weight, then listen to your mixer. It will tell you if it is struggeling or not. If your mixer has a thermal overload switch, it will kick-out if you overload the mixer, the more times it kicks out, the softer it gets, until it kicks out at the slightest hint of overheating. Then, you’re going to get real friendly with your Hobart repair man. When looking for an 80-quart mixer, you can’t go wrong with the M-802. With an 80-quart bowl it will mix most pizza doughs based on 50-pounds of flour weight without a problem. While you’re at it, MAKE SURE TO GET A REVERSE SPIRAL DOUGH HOOK with your mixer. Without it, you’ll be continually cutting the dough off of the dough hook to get a decent mix.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
i am selling a used hobart l800 80qt, check out my post and let me know… iam located right outside of Boston, MA

Back