Continue to Site

New Pizza guy here... needing advice

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
S

system

I just opened a small diner / pizzeria in a town outside of new orleans… between 4 major chemical plants… competing against dominos and papa johns only… no other places here at all … but booming business for them. Im just getting started on the pizza end… i purchased a single lincoln gas impinger…( one rack) a 30 qt hobart mixer and I have a large commercial convection oven…it may be a month or three before i can purchase a large oven and the hood system… hoping to get away with what I have and still make great pizza with the convection oven… . all i can do at this moment… in short I am from South Jersey and grew up with NY Style thin crust and hoping for suggestions on recipe for dough and sauce etc… my pizza exp was from 15 yrs ago… hand tossing pies for a place in jersey… any suggestion welcome… thanks to all…

I would have experimented around and found the best pizza recipe before I opened. As you are, you can find many pizza recipes online. Try new things until you find something different and tasty.
Also, use commas instead of ellipses.

Last edited:
Check out the Encyclopizza as a start. Keep your costs very low. Focus on marketing and product. Differentiate yourself in both superior service and product.

Last edited:
Yes, Encyclopizza is a very good site. I would focus on at most 1-3 main specialty pizzas and work hard at making them well. Once you get good at making pizzas by someone else’s recipe you can add your own touch to it.
Differentiation is key. 🙂

Last edited:
Teddy;
Take a look in the RECIPE BANK. There are a lot of great dough formulas/recipes and pizza types posted in there.
Keep in mind that convection ovens are not pizza ovens by any stretch of the imagination. You will be wanting to look at a deck or possibly one of the newer air impingement ovens to make a great New York style pizza.
Get over to one of the upcoming pizza shows. NAPICS in Columbus, Ohio is coming up in February, and Pizza Expo is in March in Las Vegas, NV. and if you will be in NYC over the first days of March, you can pick up the PMQ NYC show at the Javits Center.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
I would contact Stanislaus, they make some of the best bases around for sauce they can help you perfect it.
for crust here is a clip from Tom L.
Good luck

Submitted By:
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Ingredients:

This formula produces a somewhat thin crust with a tough, chewy texture.
Flour: (a typical pizza flour with 13.5 to 14% or more protein): 100.00%
Salt 1.75%
Olive Oil: 1.00%
Compressed Yeast: 0.5 to 0.75%
Water (with the temperature adjusted to give a finished dough at 80 to 85F): 58 to 65%

How to Prepare:

Standard Dough Making Procedure: Put water into the mixing bowl, add the salt and sugar, then add the flour and the yeast. Mix at low speed for about 2 minutes, then mix at medium speed until all of the flour has been picked up into the dough. Now add the oil and mix in for 2 minutes at low speed, then mix the dough at medium speed until it develops a smooth, satiny appearance (generally about 8 to 10 minutes using a planetary mixer).
The dough temperature should be between 80 and 85F. Immediately divide the dough into desired weight pieces and round into balls. Wipe the dough balls with salad oil, and place into plastic dough boxes. Make sure that the dough balls are spaced about 2 inches apart. Cross stack the uncovered dough boxes in the cooler for 2 hours as this will allow the dough balls to cool down thoroughly, and uniformly. The dough boxes can then be nested, with the top box being covered. This will prevent excessive drying of the dough balls.
The dough balls will be ready to use after about 12 hours of refrigeration. They can be used after up to 72 hours of refrigeration with good results. To use the dough balls, remove a quantity from the cooler and allow them to warm at room temperature for approximately 2-3 hours. The dough can then be shaped into skins, or shaped into pans for proofing. Unused dough can remain at room temperature (covered to prevent drying) for up to 6 hours after removal from the cooler.

Note: If using ACTIVE DRY YEAST (ADY) only half the amo0unt as compressed yeast. Then suspend the ADY in a small quantity of warm water (105 – 110F) and allow it to stand for 10 to 15 minutes. Add this to the water in the mixing bowl, but do not add the salt and sugar to the water, instead, add the salt and sugar to the flour, then begin mixing as directed.

If using INSTANT DRY YEAST (IDY) us only 1/3 the amount as compressed yeast. Add the IDY to the flour along with the salt and sugar, and begin mixing as directed.

Last edited:
Back