Continue to Site

OLD Bakers Pride Stone Oven

daisy1

Well just my luck my Bakers Pride Model D-125 stone oven, the thermal couple went out Grrr…

Called my repair guy and much to my surprise, its the old mercury style and he called the company and the whole guts of the oven have to be replaced, they do not make the mercury style thermal couple any more…

My oven is well over 25 yrs old, only pd $4 grand for it 6 yrs ago so now its going to cost $1500 to replace the guts, burners and all

So this week is going to be challenging only having 1 oven, its our 30 yr anniversary pizza price roll back, just shoot me in my foot…Thursday at the latest its going to be fixed, they had to call a competitor to get the unit, they called the manufacture but they did not have one in stock luckily their competitor had on in stock

Last edited:
So I called a tech at Bakers Pride myself this morning to confirm, and yes they do not make any replacement parts for the old mercury style thermo couple any more, and that with the new conversion kit you must switch out all burners, because the gas flow will be much different Grrrr… He did say at the price I was quoted of $1500 is an excellent price

Well at least it beats buying a used or new oven

Last edited:
Ok, I’m not an oven expert nor a thermcoupler expert. However, I have gone through this issue on two Blodgett ovens from the 1960’s. Cost to me was $250 each and I was upset about that.

Yes you will have to remove the thermocouple assembly and replace it, including the valve. But replacing the burners makes zero sense. The thermocoupler (or thermal switch) is a safety feature that just determines if the pilot is lit. If it is hot enough, it allows the valve to open, letting gas into the regulator and thus the burners. It’s an on-off thing. This doesn’t sound right to me.

Hopefully George or some other oven expert can shed light on this. Someone jump in and let me know what I’m missing…

Patrick

Last edited:
Im not sure, all I know is the tech at bakers pride said with the new conversion kit the gas pressure is much different, yes would be nice if someone else had knowledge here, BUT… I have to get my oven fixed like yesterday, I do have my top oven still going, without my second oven I work 5 times as hard just to keep up on busy nites

Last edited:
Hi Guys:

I am not a technician but I offer whatever experience I Have had to help.

I have no experience with the condition in this situation. I would be inclined to go with the factory recommendation.

George Mills

Last edited:
I didn’t want to say anything until I talked to my oven guy, (but my first thoughts were identical to those of pcuezze). But he (independent repair shop, over 30 years experience, has done hundreds of retro-fits for those mercury type thermocouples) says the pressure DOESN’T change (just like pcuezze said). He came up with the name Bakers Pride without input from me, and reluctantly used the word “scam”. The only POSSIBLE reason that a replacement of the burners COULD be justified is if the new thermocouple unit could not be bolted to the old burners, which he suspects was deliberate on the part of Bakers Pride. However, five minutes with a drill would enable it to bolt right on. :shock:

Last edited:
Ok now that the madness is over with for a little while, my repair guy got the oven up & running Thursday at 5pm, the only 2 things that we seen different with the new burner unit was the holes were bigger along both sides of the unit and the mounting brackets for the thermal couple was mounted on the side, not in front as with old unit, also the length of thermal couple was only about 1.5 feet instead of 2-3 feet, because it is mounted on the side closer to switch box.

Last edited:
Back