Continue to Site

Open space between ovens

I recently purchased a Blodgett 999 double stack. This oven will produce 63k btu per deck
and will be used for baking bread not pizza. Bye the way [ the informed discussions on this site about btu’s for a pizza oven vs a baking oven were a big help] This oven is 45 years old and owners manuals are not available as they are for the 1000 series. My question is, this oven came to me set up to stack directly one on top of the other w/o airspace in between.This set up seems to be used frequently in the baking oven stacks, including the stock photos on the Blodgett site. Yet in the descriptions for the Blodgett 1000 it states clearly that what they describe as a crown angle must be used for proper oven function to occur. The crown angle appears to be four short leg’s [6’’] long that index in to the same bolt locations on the upper oven ,that the lower oven uses to secure the main legs. So has anyone used, say a 981/999/911 with a lower btu output without this space? What have been the results or limitations of both scenarios?

Many thanks in advance
TCTW

Last edited:
The Blodgett 1000 Has a combustion air intake in the bottom of the oven. that is the reason for the 6 inch separation between decks. Your ovens do not have that feature.

George Mills

Last edited:
George,

Thank you for your reply!
I did examine the ovens after reading your reply and it appears that there are openings in the bottom of each oven directly below an adjustable flange in the burner tube.
These openings are about 2 1/4 ‘’ square and are open to the room. Is it possible these were added after the fact? I did re check the model # and it reads 999c. Do you think
I should cover these openings or perhaps add the spacers ? The ovens were used in a bakery then a pizzaria.

TCTW

Last edited:
Could be that I am wrong. I am very familiar with the 1000 but not the 999 . The air intake on the 1000 is much larger than what you have.

it would not hurt to allow some space between the ovens

George Mills

Last edited:
Back