opening for business[need help]

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
S

system

Were finally starting to get going w/ are new pizza carryout-delivery.So here’s my first question.I have 240 sq. feet of operating space.8 wide 30 long.Knowing that I have this sort of lay out.What kind of + size pizza oven,prep table,hood vent,reach in fridge,mixer,sink should I go with?I also have 200 sq.feet for storage.

Thanks russ,I’m looking what type,model,etc…Someone PLEASE steer me in the right direction,cause I’m stumped.

Last edited:
Mike,
Mike,
I am doing a similar thing in a 24’ x 8.5’ trailer (outside dimensions).
I am looking at the most efficient equipment I can, size and weight being critical.

check out the mixer on the link below, good for size and weight

also, you can go to my profile and access my web site for photos and information on The Pizza Wheel, my mobile pizzeria,
Otis

http://www.food-equipment.com/Fleetwood … mixers.htm

Otis Gunn:
Mike,
Mike,
I am doing a similar thing in a 24’ x 8.5’ trailer (outside dimensions).
I am looking at the most efficient equipment I can, size and weight being critical.

check out the mixer on the link below, good for size and weight

also, you can go to my profile and access my web site for photos and information on The Pizza Wheel, my mobile pizzeria,
Otis

http://www.food-equipment.com/Fleetwood … mixers.htm
below is the link to The Pizza Wheel, a mobile pizzeria
Code:
          [http://homepage.mac.com/otisgunn/PhotoAlbum27.html](http://homepage.mac.com/otisgunn/PhotoAlbum27.html)

Mike,

What type of volume do you expect/need to do out of this place? I’m asking because of staff. It seems you will have enough room to basically have ONE hallway down the middle of your shop. On one side you need to put most of your make lines and ovens etc… and let it flow from one side of the store to the door. On the other side, you can put some shelfs for boxes and some dry goods that will be needed during the shift.

Walk-in Cooler outside? Or will you have one? Is the 200 square feet of storage adjacent to the workspace? Or is it off in another part of the building?

Last edited:
Will have a reach-in cooler and yes the storage area is adjacent.As far as staff, me & two more in the kitchen & I’m guessing three drivers.Ill be covering a population of 35,000 in my area.I was told to find what kind of volume your gonna do to determine what size equipment you’ll need.Thanks I do appriciate it.

Last edited:
Nice last name. There’s a nice chain in Chicago named Giardano’s. I’m fairly sure you’re not affiliated as their oven would take up the bulk of the space :).

800-1200 sf is a lot more typical for a del-co operation. Can you tell us more about your situation? It almost sounds like you’d be in a food court. For instance, an 8x10 walk-in cooler would eat up 80sf right off the bat. Most deck ovens are 6x3 (or 6x4), plus you need to allow for the doors to open.

I think you’d be best served to contact a restaurant equipment shop and ask for help. One of the problems is that your space is SO limited that your equipment will be very, very specific to your operation and will probably cost you more (for instance, say you “need” a 6’ pizza prep table, but find an 8 or 9’ for a great price… most folks can jump on the deal and find something to do with the extra space – you don’t have that luxury).

Last edited:
OK I’ll start from the beginning.A good friend of mine owns the building I would be moving into.Right now he’s running his own coffee shop.I ran it across to him a year ago 'bout opening a pizza place.He came to me a few months back and lets do it.He has space that is not being used in the coffee shop which would be perfect although the lay-out is’nt the greatest.So with the high volume of the coffee shop on the weekends because he has bands three nights aweek.When you first walk in you run into the coffee shop then just behind that would be the new pizza place.There is a room adjacent to where the pizza place would be that has 200 sq feet,small but the room is square.

Last edited:
Oh my dad and uncle had the first giordano’s pizza that we know of back in the late 50’s.I would love to use my name some how.

Last edited:
mike giordano:
OK I’ll start from the beginning.A good friend of mine owns the building I would be moving into.Right now he’s running his own coffee shop.I ran it across to him a year ago 'bout opening a pizza place.He came to me a few months back and lets do it.He has space that is not being used in the coffee shop which would be perfect although the lay-out is’nt the greatest.So with the high volume of the coffee shop on the weekends because he has bands three nights aweek.When you first walk in you run into the coffee shop then just behind that would be the new pizza place.There is a room adjacent to where the pizza place would be that has 200 sq feet,small but the room is square.
WELL, that changes it all. I rented the kitchen of an existing pub (bar) in St. Louis. It was incredibly smaller than what you’re dealing with, so it CAN be done. Because I had storage and a walk-in cooler (and chest freezer) available to me, my “space” was more than the size of the kitchen.

Okay, on with what you MUST have. You MUST have a 3 compartment sink – though with luck, you can share that with the coffee shop --er, um, use theirs. That’s about 18 sf in itself. Surely this guy has some refrigeration, piggy back off it.

You need oven capacity – meaning you can buy a small conveyor oven, but the pizzas move through it so slowly that you simply cannot produce much food at once. If you’re able to handle deck ovens, get a double-stack. Check about the possibility of a triple-stack – one will be too low and one too high, but it beats not having enough cooking space. Depending on your menu, a 6’ pizza prep table should be plenty. If you do sandwiches, more might be nice. You may not be able to keep all of your toppings on-top at once, but some things (like green olives) can just be kept underneath. I’d recommend a dough sheeter or press rather than doing it by hand. It takes less space to use a dough sheeter or press, IMHO and the flour tossed all over the kitchen in minimized. Your mixer may even be able to be in the “storage” area rather than in the kitchen – even more space savings. A 20 qt (and maybe a 30 qt) mixer can fit UNDER a table (not on a shelf, but under the table sitting on the floor). Use your under-table shelves and of course use overhead shelves.

Make sure you can move two people around in your kitchen. The oven is a one-person job, so put it at one end if you can. Try to minimize traffic in the kitchen (so the two people don’t have to walk past each other except to get to the restroom, etc). Ah, the restroom – another thing you don’t have to deal with (assuming the coffee shop has one). Try to schluff off (I mean delegate) the coffee shop to doing the order taking.

Watch out for those danged stuffed pizzas. I love 'em, but they take a LONG time to cook.

Find a distributor that will deliver less food, more often. 10 years ago, it was “$300 to stop the truck”, meaning you had to have a $300 order to get a delivery. I’m sure it’s gone up. You have plenty of storage space for non-refrigerated stuff, it’s the refrigerated stuff (cheese mostly) that’s going to kill you. Luckily, the refrigerated stuff is the more expensive stuff.

Last edited:
Here’s what we decided to do.My partner is going to have a band in coming weeks play at the coffee shop and they draw a Huge crowd.I’m getting a reach-in commercial freezer for free.I was going to pre-make the pies a day ahead & sell by the slice,unless they want something different I’ll make it fresh.I’m going to split the profit w/ the owner.I thought I would buy the product & he could rent a pizza warmer for a day or two to see how it goes.This way rather than go in & spend thousands of dollars we could try it on a small scale to see how it goes.He has bands three nights a week.I wanted to cover all three nights starting in two weeks.

Last edited:
Back