Continue to Site

over block pricing

Big_SAL

anyone here have a great price…like say 10 cents over block…on 5 lb loaves?

Thanks

Big Sal

Last edited:
I’m at 17 cents over. I think it would be tough to get 10 cents unless you’re very close to the dairy farm in California or Wisconsin.

Last edited:
where are you located…?

I’m near Wash DC. Roma is my supplier and they have been agressive on pricing…but the best I can do right now
is 1.65 for 100% mozz loaf…I’d like to be more like a 1.50

Last edited:
Looking at the Grande cheese thread, it seems they are getting it for 2.35 at best. I’m athinkin’ that 1.65 is a pretty good pricing right now with block being at 1.38 unless you are a really high volume player.

Last edited:
Big SAL:
the best I can do right now is 1.65 for 100% mozz loaf…I’d like to be more like a 1.50
That’s exactly what I paid this week… I think you have pretty good pricing. I pay 17 cents over block on a 4 week lag. Four weeks ago block was 1.4875, so I paid 1.6575. Prices have dropped 10 cents over the past 4 weeks, so you want to make sure you’re seeing those declines.

Last edited:
Big SAL:
piper…what do you use as far as cheese? Brand and or mix?
Sorrento WM Mozz. Between two locations we us about 1400 lbs per week, but I had that price back when I only used 350 lbs per week in one location. I should probably be going digging for another cent or two now, but I doubt there’s much more room.

Last edited:
Piper

have you tasted your shredded loaf Sorrento…with the preshred…from Sorrento?? notice any difference?

Thanks

Last edited:
48.png
Vinny:
Piper

have you tasted your shredded loaf Sorrento…with the preshred…from Sorrento?? notice any difference?

Thanks
I’ve never had the pre-shredded, so I really don’t know if there’s a difference in taste.

Last edited:
48.png
pjcampbell:
Yes pre-shed has cellulose in as an anti-caking agent (except Grande). I think it tastes worse.
I heard somewhere that Grande uses the FedReserve decommissioned money . . . sanitized and shredded. Guess they taste better than the cellulose, which has always been flavorless to me.

Last edited:
I haven’t checked my invoices to see what I am paying over block in awhile. I did it today and got $0.555 over block on a two week lag. When I first started with Roma it was .35 and when they bought out PFG last year it went to .45 over block. Now its at .555. I use about 500-600lbs a week of Whole Milk / Part Skim shredded. What is a fair over block price?

Last edited:
I use over 2000lb a week and I am at .43 over block. We use 100% whole milk shred from Wisconsin.
Broken down its .28 for overage .10 for freight and .05 to sysco for storing and delivery.

Last edited:
We pay between .18 and .30 over block. No contract. We price shop between US and Sysco. If the price gets above .30 over block, I start complaining and it comes down or I switch vendors. We end up switching a couple of times a year. It keeps them honest.

Last edited:
We buy block. The savings is too much to pass up. The difference tends to be 10-12 cents per pound. That amounts to several thousand per year in savings. You could say there is a labor cost, but in reality there is not. It just reduces the amount of time there is nothing to do in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Back