Continue to Site

Pan Pizza in wood brick oven?

pizzakid

Hi Guys,
I am from Brasil and the majority of us use wood burning brick ovens. Gas/Electric are very rare as are walk in freezers (Very hard to find/expensive). I’ve got some concerns about cooking the Pan Pizza in the brick oven. Never have done it before. Any tips?

My concerns - heat from the burning wood. I will need to rotate the pan in the same way I would a pizza I am burning directly on the stones. I could use a perforated pizza disk and place the Pan on top, to help distribute the heat properly? Does anyone here currently cook a pan pizza in a brick oven and if so is there any tips you can share, dough management concerns I should take and any particular recipe I should use that is better suited for this type of oven?

Thank You,
PizzaKid

Last edited:
Some of the things that you might want to do are as follows:
  1. Don’t add any sugar, milk or eggs to the dough formula as these will only increase the chances of the crust burning.
  2. Place some type of a heat break under each pan in the oven. Typically we would use one or two aluminum mesh screens to accomplish this.
  3. Depending upon the design of your oven, you may get too much top heat to the pizza before the crust can get properly baked. If thei is a problem with your oven, corrective action would be to cover/lid the pans for a portion of the baking time, then remove the lid to complete the bake and achieve the desired top bake properties.
    Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Hi Tom,
Thank you for your reply. I will post my results as soon as I have a chance to test my recipe in the oven along with your recommendations.
Cheers and happy holidays to everyone.
-PK-

Last edited:
Back