Part time employee HELP!!!

Discussion in 'The Think Tank' started by daisy1, Sep 27, 2019.

1. daisy1

daisy1 Active Member

Ok.....I hired a part time 3 yrs ago, and he is on disability. so he can only work 15 hrs a week. Due to his health condition, he has been in & out of the hospital over the last year, he only wants to work certain days & certain hrs. So this last episode of him back in the hospital, claiming due to food poisoning, I fired him. I need & have been needing a full time body that can work when I need them, not when they want to. So I let him go & hired a full time employee & now hes claiming discrimination. Grrrrr... Any thoughts

2. pizzapirate

pizzapirate Active Member

Hard to say not knowing where you are but in CA it’s an at-will state. Definitely document everything as it helps. No matter what, he can cause you problems, but it sounds like you had to do something.

3. clownhair

clownhair Active Member

Did you get a letter or correspondence from a government agency regarding his termination? Depending on what they are asking or demanding it may be worth your time to at the very least speak to a lawyer about the issue to get the best advice.

4. daisy1

daisy1 Active Member

I'm in Mi an at will state also. I have not heard any thing from any agency yet, this just happened on Friday I let him go, it just shocked me that he is calling me out for discrimination.
    He called out discrimination when I told him I needed someone who can work 40 hrs not just 15 a week and that he is unreliable, because I never knew from week to week if he was going to end up back in the hospital

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  5. clownhair

clownhair Active Member

This is just me personally, and not in anyway legal advice, but I wouldn't worry about this at all until if someone of authority on the matter contacted me. Until then it is just a disgruntled former employee blowing off steam.

6. Rico

Rico Active Member

7. bodegahwy

bodegahwy Well-Known Member

I would stick to the full-time vs part time story and not talk about reliability.

daisy1 likes this.