Continue to Site

Pay rate for pizza makers

Paradox_Pizza

Hi,
I am considering doing some advertising in different parts of the country to try and attract a professional pizza maker. I hoped I could get some input on what they are paid in other parts of the country. Also, if anyone knows someone that would like to relocate to a small town in Southern Utah…
Thanks!

Last edited:
Pay rate is more a function of where you are working then where you have worked. In the San Fransisco, Ca or Manhattan area, the cost of living is very high thus people tend to be paid more. If you are in a small town with cheap rents, it might be better to see what area wages are as a reference.

Last edited:
It is not exactly rocket science to make pizza or to teach someone to make them. Getting someone to relocate for a pizzamaker job is not realistic. Ours make $10-$14 per hour depending on experience and whether they can run a shift.

Last edited:
Small midwestern town, our pizza makers are young twenties just trying to figure out their next move. We’re paying from the $8.25 minimum to $10.00 depending on what they give me back.

Last edited:
BTW, I have heard good things about the pizza at Paradox. Moab is going to be a very similar market mine in Steamboat in many respects. Your high and low seasons are going to fall at different times, but the resort nature of the market will be the same. My guess is that the wages you will have offer will be similar to those in mountain towns like mine.

I would suggest you try Craigslist. Run ads in regions like Colorado/western slope, Colorado/rocky mountains. (You need to vary the wording and use different email address to place ads in different markets). Craigslist is free and has worked well for me. There are certainly people in the mountain towns looking for work that would consider a move to Moab!! Summer high season will wind down in another 45 days leading to more people looking for work. Do you have housing available? This kind of employee does not have buncvh of $$ sitting around to fund a move, rent deposits, going for a couple of weeks without a check etc.

Do you have work through the winter? Moab is pretty quiet in Jan-Feb. I think getting someone to move includes a commitment to providing work throughout the year!

Last edited:
Word seems to be getting out about our pizza. I have tried Craigslist in Co and Salt Lake but I will try another round. I just need one strong cook that I would offer year round work to, though finding a skier that wanted to go back to the mountains in winter would be great too. I didn’t think it would be equal to rocket science to throw dough, but someone that has never worked with dough before takes some time before they can throw 18 inch pizzas during a busy time of day. We don’t have a large labor pool in Moab and I’m getting lots of applications that are much worse than the one Jokergerm posted. Heck, I’d hire that woman.

Last edited:
Next time I am out your way I will stop and say hello. We come to/through Moab a couple of times a year and have had friends there for over 20 years. Other Steamboat people we know own places there too. Best of luck in your search.

Last edited:
Back