Continue to Site

Peerless countertop deck oven

flyinfree

Does anyone have experience with the Peerless countertop oven C131. We want to introduce pizza to an existing business. We realize volume constraints may be an issue however our main concern at this time is an oven that is flu vented. We do not want to install a vented hood at this time. Do you think the Peerless would be a good choice? Do you have any other oven suggestions that would not require a ventilation hood? Thanks for any input you may have.

Last edited:
IMHO - I believe Peerless makes some decent stuff, tho the only experience I have is with their Quartz stone deck oven…can be a counter top, albeit a big one…

nice thing was is multi-tasking ability…

the quartz lights can be controlled and you can set many menu items…

ebay has 'em used for a grand or so…calrod heating element under the brick deck & quarts lamps are easily replaceable…

you can run it w/o using the quartz lights as well…will cook an 18/20 pie in 4/6 minutes

Last edited:
I should say that I don’t have a business. I had the Peerless C131, natural gas oven installed in my garage. I’m an occasional user, ever one or two weeks. And when I am done cooking the pizzas, I shut off everything.

The advantages:
I can do four 18" diameter pizzas. Like any pizza oven there is a hot spot on the bottom stone that requires a 180 degree after 3 minutes. From the bottom rack to the top rack is done in 6 - 8 minutes, temps in the 450 -500 degree range.
Peerless makes a good product and they provide prompt an courteous phone support.
They provide a transition piece that allows you to connect 5" direct venting.
The stones can be removed and used as a conventional oven. A big turkey will easily.
I bought two grid racks in addition when using it as a conventional oven.
Controls are modular, intended for the user to do his own repair.

Disadvantages:
If I were in business, I would use this handle the overflow when your very busy.
Instructions are the most pathetic I have ever seen. They have things that apply to your model things that don’t and there is no way to sort this out, without calling.
The maximum temperature is 650 degrees. If your looking to make Neopolitan pizza at 900 degrees, it won’'t happen
Some of the stampings on the stainless steel needed to be filed to smooth out the edges. A minor inconvenience.
The door handle is not far enough away from the door so that when you lower it your wrist will be burned. Gloves that can withstand 1000 degrees solve my problem.

All in all I am a satisfied customer.

pat

Last edited:
Hi flyinfree

You best check with your building department. The code calls for a hood over any devise that raises the temperature of a food product to 220 degrees or above.

Despite what the national code states most deck style oven manufacturers still state that they can be direct flue vented. That is so, but just because they can be flue vented does not guarantee that the local jurisdiction will allow an exception to the code.

George Mills

Last edited:
I just bought a c-131 as a back up oven and I am disappointed with the quality of the construction. One of the shelves was not attached. I told the dealer, pizzaovens.com, and they contacted Peerless who recommended reattaching the shelf with self tapping screws. They spot weld the shelves in place instead of running a bead of weld. The spot welds are a poor way to assemble a shelve holding a stone deck. I base this on my experience as a multiple pizzeria owner and because I am a mechanical engineer. Besides the poor construction, I am disappointed with their proposed solution of fixing it. I would never tell my customer to fix their own pizza if I delivered a defective pizza to them. I guess you get what you pay for with Peerless ovens. This is my second and last Peerless oven I will ever buy (have a 2348P). I will also avoid pizzaovens.com for now on. I felt like it’s only fair that I tell the community about the poor experience I had with both Peerless and pizzaovens.com.

Last edited:
Comment to Vinny:

Unfortunately there are a lot of companies out there who are only interest in making a sale and they advertise the cheapest products they can find.

As a lot of folks getting into the pizza business have little or no experience, and believe they can get into the pizza business at very low cost. Those folks are targeted by the low price artists and the end up very often with equipment that wont do the job or costs a fortune to repair or operate.

We do a lot of plans for pizza shops, many for first timers. I spend a lot of time with the beginners and those with minimal experience convincing them that it is better to buy the right Item and pay for it once rather than many other items that they will pay for over and over again in operating cost and service calls.

We get calls for items I simply will not sell our reputation is to important to us.

George Mills

Last edited:
Peerless are good ovens. The cw100 is comparable to a y-600(it’s slightly smaller). The best part about it is the burner design, they run length wise instead of front to back. This results in more efficient, and even cooking temps throughout. There is very little that can go wrong with any deck oven, so I would say beware of any naysayers, as any complaints have more to do with Brand loyalty than anything else. This is coming from a guy that used Bakers Prides for years, and now am very impressed with the Peerless ovens. I have seen the C131 in person, but have not cooked in it. The build quality is on par with any other deck oven, Period.

Last edited:
Back