Continue to Site

Pizza dough help

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
S

system

Hi all I am new to the site and wanted to start off by saying hello. I have a question that I need help with. I have recently started making pizza at home and eveyone loves the NY style. I cannot figure out how to get my dough to form a good round circle and not have tears in it. I have seen so many pizza place spin and toss dough for a long time and never a tear. Is there a good recipe for a NY style pizza that is ideal for at home use. I knead my dough with a regular KA mixer. What time length should I knead my dough. Any help would be great. One thing also I wanted to ask is if anyone has a recipe can they make it into cups, tbsp, etc, I don’t have any scales and I am no good at math. Thanks all.

Go to a local shop that has dough you like and buy a couple of doughballs when you want to make pizza. Our fomulas are all for 40-80 lb batches made with an industrial size mixer and do not translate into cups and teaspoons. We sell doughballs to some local customers pretty often. We charge $2.

Another laternative is take a white bread formula from a cookbook, add some oil and honey and use a high gluten flour rather than the regular white flour.

Good luck.

Last edited:
You need to make a quick trip to the RECIPE BANK. I’ve got a well proven home made pizza dough recipe posted there. The trick to getting a great dough isn’t in the mixing of the dough, but rather it is in the fermentation of the dough. Mix the dough in your Kitchen Aid mixer just until it comed together, then divide it into 10-ounce pieces, form each dough piece into a ball, wipe with salad oil and place into plastic bread bag. Lightly twist the bag closed and tuck the twisted end under the dough ball and place it into the refrigerator. The dough will be ready to use on the following day. To use the dough, remove the bagged dough from the refrigerator about an hour before you want to shape it into a dough skin, turn the dough ball out into a bowl of flour, and turn the dough ball to fully coat with flour, then use a rolling pin to GENTLY sheet the dough out to 8 to 10-inches in diametewr, then finish stretching the dough by hand to 13 to 13-inches. Place onto a dark colored baking pan that has been lightly oiled, apply sauce or slices of fresh tomato, then the cheese and desired toppings, bake at 425 to 450F on a center oven shelf. If you have a pizza stone, put it into the oven when you begin heating the oven, then place the panned pizza onto the stone. I’ve been teraching this to people for many years now as a hobby and it works very well.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Tom Lehmann:
You need to make a quick trip to the RECIPE BANK. I’ve got a well proven home made pizza dough recipe posted there.
Tom,

Can you point us to the recipe you have in mind. Maybe I missed it but I didn’t see a “home made pizza dough recipe” at the Recipe Bank. I did see the NY style dough recipe, which is the pizza style that hamlove29 seeks, but that recipe is a commercial recipe recited in baker’s percents format, not volumetric measurements as requested by hamlove29, who does not have a scale. He also says that he is not good at math. As usual, I am sure that you will rise to the challenge.

Last edited:
For some unknown reason it wasn’t put into the RECIPE BANK. I’ll see that it gets put into there.
In the mean time, if you send me your request I will attach a copy of the recipe by return e-mail. You can reach me at [email protected] just be sure to indicate that you would like to have a copy of the home made pizza dough recipe.
Like Maxwell Smart used to say “Sorry about that”
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Thanks all for all the help. I think I am in the right direction. I also got a lot of help from pizza making website. Again thanks.

With thanks to Tom, here is the home made pizza dough recipe:

Pizza Crust (Home Style)

Pillsbury Bread Flour, 3 cups unsifted

Salt, 2 teaspoons

Sugar, 1 ½ tablespoons

Yeast (active dry), 1 package

Water (warm/100°F), 1 cup

Olive Oil, 2 tablespoons

Directions:
  1. Suspend yeast in the water, add a pinch of sugar and stir well. Set aside to activate for 10 minutes.
  2. Place flour, salt, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Stir the yeast suspension and add to the ingredients in the mixing bowl.
  3. Using a wooden spoon stir the mixture for 1 minute. Add the oil and continue mixing (stirring) until the dough becomes too thick to stir with the wooden spoon. (Generally 2 to 4 minutes).
  4. Cover the bowl with foil, waxed paper, or damp towel and set aside to ferment for 1 to 2 hours. Punch the dough down as necessary to keep it in the bowl.
  5. Turn the dough out onto a floured bench or counter top, knead the dough by hand for about 2 minutes, oil the mixing bowl, and place the dough back into the bowl for 15 to 30 minutes.
  6. Turn the dough out again onto a lightly floured bench or counter top, using a knife or bench scraper, divide the dough into 3 equal pieces.
  7. Lightly flour each dough piece, and roll out thin. Makes a 10-11 each diameter crust. If the dough tends to shrink back after rolling, set it aside for 10 minutes on a floured surface, and roll or stretch it by hand to fit a 10 to 11 inch pizza pan or stone.
  8. Brush the edge of the crust with oil (olive), apply your favorite sauce, cheese, and other toppings, place the pan into the oven; or transfer the pizza using a pizza peel to the preheated pizza stone, and bake in a hot oven (center shelf) until the crust and cheese are lightly to golden brown in color.
Optional:

This is recommended for making bread from the dough. After #4, oil the dough, and place it into a plastic bread bag, twist the end of the bag to close, and set in the refrigerator overnight. On the following day, remove the dough from the refrigerator leaving it in the bag. Allow the dough to warm at room temperature for about an hour, then remove the dough from the bag and form into a loaf shape by flouring the dough, rolling out to about 3/16-inch thickness, and rolling like a jelly roll. Place into a bread pan or elongate and bake on a lightly oiled sheet pan as a French style bread. Allow the dough to proof (rise) for about an hour in a draft free, moist area, then bake at 400F until lightly browned.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say thanks and also if anyone else on the site like myself who bakes pizza at home, look on pizzamaking.com and look for pete-zza. He knows about every question there is to know on pizza. He has helped me with manyyyyyyyyy different things with pizza making. Thanks all

Back