Continue to Site

Pizza Order Forms

Ziggie

I’d like to know how many operators out there are still taking orders by hand instead of using a POS and if so, why?
Our pizzeria uses forms from this company http://www.pizzaforms.com/onlinecatalog.htm
We’ve had some discussion about the possibility of getting a POS but it comes back to how extensive our menu is, the cost of setup and maintenance, what to do in case of network failure and the learning curve to our employees who aren’t so tech savvy.
To those operators currently using POS, what are the highlights? What glitches do you experience?

Last edited:
my POS is as important as my oven…it is a no brainer…DO IT NOW! There are so many choices that are affordable it will pay for itself in no time and make you ALOT more efficient and you will have data that you can use to build you business immediately. If your employees are not tech savvy than it will make things more idiot-proof. Glitches will depend on which company you choose but you need to take the plunge otherwise your competition will provide better service with a POS

Last edited:
we are a small mom/pop pizzeria with me making the pies/dough/preps and my wife running the register. It is the model I grew up in back in NJ/NYC (1950’s-70’s). We use the carbonless order pads. It works great. I can look over our supplies and order for the week in less than 5 minutes. No need to spend $ on tech stuff with our set up. Walter

Last edited:
If you’re not using a POS you’re behind. From writing orders to going to a touch screen POS terminal, you are guaranteed to speed up your order taking times, possibly eliminating an order taker or two on a daily basis. We saved two minutes from per order from switching from a non touch screen POS to a touch screen one (Speedline). Think about that in context of how long it takes you to take an order for delivery for a customer now, compared to how quickly you can do it in a POS. The time adds up. That time turns into wasted labor lower profit margins. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about our system. I can go into great detail about speedline.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You are costing yourself money so many ways if you don’t use a POS. Discussion about what kind of forms to use? Sorry, absurd. The questions you are asking about reliability, set up, menu complexity, employee training were all settled issues two decades ago.

Last edited:
The amount of information you will get about your pizzeria from a POS is priceless. Order taking will be much faster making your crew more efficient they are not as hard as you think and your crew will love using it believe me. Asking customers their delivery address everytime you take an order for delivery is a waste of time and annoying for the customer. If you are concerned about price look into point of success they are very inexpensive easy to use and set up all you need is a pc touchscreen and printer which you can find for cheap. Do it you won’t regret it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not using a Point of Sales system is like using a rotary dial telephone. Scratch that, it’s like using a switchboard. Nah, scratch that, it’s like using a can with some damn string attached to another can.

Where to begin?

One problem is making sure that people aren’t ripping you off. There are plenty of tricks to rip someone off with most point-of-sale systems, and there are infinite amount of tricks to rip someone off with pen and paper.

Even the simplest tasks take at LEAST two times as long, some would probably take five thousand times as long with pen and paper. Take payroll for instance, adding up time time-clock sheets manually versus clicking a button to print a report that not only shows each employees hours, but also a complete breakdown of labor details and percentages with comparisons for each day, week, month, year, whatever you want, instantly.

Daily sales, monthly sales, yearly sales, going back 10 years for comparisons.

On road versus in store

Performance measurements

Average ticket time

Table turnover rate

Coupons sold

Most popular coupon used

Top customers

These are just a drop in the bucket of my reports that are instantly calculated whenever I need them.

Delivery commissions

Online ordering

Not having to know the price of all 79 menu items, or even worse their 639 modifiers.

Not having to run every ticket to the kitchen.

Not having to write the same thing down four different times.

Staff members not having to decipher everyone’s chicken scratch or their own custom abbreviations for each item.

Manually calculating prices, taxes, oh man the list goes on.

Just way way way way too much room for errors here. My company would probably lose the cost of the point-of-sale system every year if we didn’t have one.

Does not having a point of sales system work? Sure it does, but sheesh, what a big step in the wrong direction.

Anyone doing any kind of real business, and I mean that in the nicest way, could never get away with using pen and paper. Not in today’s modern world. If they still are using pen and paper, they are doing it for two reasons. One would be the most obvious, to hide sales, labor, etc to pay less tax, and two would be… wait, I can’t even think of a second reason.

I’m not saying that you wouldn’t be able to operate without a point of sales system, because you would, and you can, and people do, but you’d be wasting a massive amount of time, losing a massive amount of money, and wouldn’t have any kind of real statistical tools to help you build your business. You’d be spending all your time to calculate every single ticket you’ve ever written and every single time sheet from every employee who’s worked for you from the day you opened in all 500 different ways that my POS can with the click of a button. Simply absurd.

Now, if you make a few items here and there, just opened the doors and times are tough, have just your family working for you and could really care less about the details or statistics of your business other than your bank account being positive or negative, by all means, don’t bother using a point of sales system.

But if you take your business seriously and plan on growing, drop what you are doing and get yourself a point of sales system.

P. S. I know I’m going to have someone respond with, “I know this guy or that gal doing 8 million a year with just a few cash registers. All done by hand.”, and yeah, there are those people out there, and if you want to give it a shot, I can’t stop you, I can only tell you we’ve been doing it for 50 years and would never even think for a second to go back. The thought is comical actually.

Last edited:
Not using a Point of Sales system is like using a rotary dial telephone. Scratch that, it’s like using a switchboard. Nah, scratch that, it’s like using a can with some damn string attached to another can.

Where to begin?

One problem is making sure that people aren’t ripping you off. There are plenty of tricks to rip someone off with most point-of-sale systems, and there are infinite amount of tricks to rip someone off with pen and paper.

Even the simplest tasks take at LEAST two times as long, some would probably take five thousand times as long with pen and paper. Take payroll for instance, adding up time time-clock sheets manually versus clicking a button to print a report that not only shows each employees hours, but also a complete breakdown of labor details and percentages with comparisons for each day, week, month, year, whatever you want, instantly.

Daily sales, monthly sales, yearly sales, going back 10 years for comparisons.

On road versus in store

Performance measurements

Average ticket time

Table turnover rate

Coupons sold

Most popular coupon used

Top customers

These are just a drop in the bucket of my reports that are instantly calculated whenever I need them.

Delivery commissions

Online ordering

Not having to know the price of all 79 menu items, or even worse their 639 modifiers.

Not having to run every ticket to the kitchen.

Not having to write the same thing down four different times.

Staff members not having to decipher everyone’s chicken scratch or their own custom abbreviations for each item.

Manually calculating prices, taxes, oh man the list goes on.

Just way way way way too much room for errors here. My company would probably lose the cost of the point-of-sale system every year if we didn’t have one.

Does not having a point of sales system work? Sure it does, but sheesh, what a big step in the wrong direction.

Anyone doing any kind of real business, and I mean that in the nicest way, could never get away with using pen and paper. Not in today’s modern world. If they still are using pen and paper, they are doing it for two reasons. One would be the most obvious, to hide sales, labor, etc to pay less tax, and two would be… wait, I can’t even think of a second reason.

I’m not saying that you wouldn’t be able to operate without a point of sales system, because you would, and you can, and people do, but you’d be wasting a massive amount of time, losing a massive amount of money, and wouldn’t have any kind of real statistical tools to help you build your business. You’d be spending all your time to calculate every single ticket you’ve ever written and every single time sheet from every employee who’s worked for you from the day you opened in all 500 different ways that my POS can with the click of a button. Simply absurd.

Now, if you make a few items here and there, just opened the doors and times are tough, have just your family working for you and could really care less about the details or statistics of your business other than your bank account being positive or negative, by all means, don’t bother using a point of sales system.

But if you take your business seriously and plan on growing, drop what you are doing and get yourself a point of sales system.

P. S. I know I’m going to have someone respond with, “I know this guy or that gal doing 8 million a year with just a few cash registers. All done by hand.”, and yeah, there are those people out there, and if you want to give it a shot, I can’t stop you, I can only tell you we’ve been doing it for 50 years and would never even think for a second to go back. The thought is comical actually.
Nailed it. Some, if not all POS have the option to require a fingerprint to clock in or access the system. If labor is a concern that employees aren’t actually there when they say they are, having a fingerprint reader will drastically save your labor. You can set restrictions to how early they are allowed to clock in before they are scheduled… the sky is the limit.

Last edited:
I was scouting a local pizza shop the other day and I noticed they didn’t use a POS. This place has 15+ employees, has beer on tap and in bottles along with several menu items. I could only imagine how the owner probably has very little data on his business and just wings it. The servers had to cash out by adding up each of their tickets at the end of the shift to “balance” and figure out their tips. Of course they did this on the clock as well!

Last edited:
I remember the first day I got my pos. The first order took me 20 seconds. Printer spit out ticket 3 seconds after and the pizza was in the oven in less then a minute. That’s your efficiency.

If you take the old method: Write down order , price it manually , tear ticket , walk to make line to mount ticket.

By the time you do all that , the order is already in the oven.

Last edited:
Back