Continue to Site

Pizza Screens

wa_dave

I just ordered a heap of pizza screens from Lloyd Industries. Their pricing is unbelievably cheap compared to what we pay in Australia and even after paying freight we are well under half the price here.

Interesting their prices were similar to another online supply company from USA, that I initially ordered through but they wanted $390 shipping while Lloyd’s was only $139 - go figure who got the order ???

All I wanted to say is that you guys get to buy things sooooooooooo much cheaper than we do. This is now the 3rd time I have purchased from the US at a rate well under half the price here and that’s after including freight. You guys are so lucky :cry: Shame it hurts our economy buy buy o/s but with how tight things are I have no option to make the massive savings I can. So thank me for my part in aiding your country’s financial recovery :lol:

Dave

Last edited:
Dave;
Thank you for your comments. So often we, here in the good old U.S.A. forget how good we really have it. So many times we complain about cheese prices, but then go and look at what our counterparts in Canada are paying, and it makes our most expensive cheese look cheap by comparison.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
wa dave:
I just ordered a heap of pizza screens from Lloyd Industries. Their pricing is unbelievably cheap compared to what we pay in Australia and even after paying freight we are well under half the price here.

Dave
Whats crazy Dave is they sell screens for more than double what other places sell them for here in the states. They jack up the price and point out all of the negatives of them hoping to upsell you to their discs.

Last edited:
Actually I tend to believe that they “jack up the price” only because Rob and his family know that their product is so darn near “life-time” that we’ll rarely need to replace them. It’s like if we knew we were only going to sell 4 pizzas, darn sure bet we’re going to get our profits out of those 4 pies knowing little else will come in that door.

Good company, great family, and their products work for me. gotta’ appreciate that.

Last edited:
Actually I tend to believe that they “jack up the price” only because Rob and his family know that their product is so darn near “life-time” that we’ll rarely need to replace them
Here’s a quote from their website about the screens that they sell. It doesn’t seem like they are thinking their screens are a lifetime product. I’m not referring to the disks, but the screens. I also use their disks and am happy with them.

My point was that the screens that Dave bought that were so much cheaper than he can get in Australia are actually double what you can buy the same product for here in the US.

http://www.lloydpans.com/C-1000034/Screens
Pizza Screens
Code:
* Lowest price of all baking solutions
* Screens are not NSF approved
If you are looking for the lowest priced solution for baking pizzas then a screen will fit your budget, however…

Look at your ROI on this type of purchase. Screens dent easily and are hard to clean because food gets stuck in the mesh and in the edges. When this happens the airflow is reduced, your crusts are compromised and your pizza loses it’s crust quality .

By looking longer term and buying disks you will not only save $$ in the long run but your product stays consistent, cleaning costs are reduced and your customers will have reliably better pizza.
pizza screen
Code:
* Short usage life
* Deemed unsanitary by several health departments
* Hard to clean
* Holes clog, limiting airflow

Last edited:
Paul
I read that as well but I haven’t had much problenm with screens. I would love to change to discs but at $20+ average across the 3 sizes we do it would cost over $3K + freight to changeover my entire fleet of screens.

I tend to agree with what is being said about upselling to the discs and selling down their screens. It’s just like us guys saying we have great quality pizzas for $20 but we also have a special line for $9 but our dearer one is the best you will taste anywhere.

I don’t know about jacking prices up as other online suppliers were similar prices, but in saying that I did see some ridiculously cheap ones but they don’t freight to Australia.

I am more than happy with the price from Lloyd’s and am even considereng bring more in to resell - still much cheaper than anyone else here.

Thanks for the comments guys

Dave

Last edited:
Dave,
When you get ready to buy cases of screens, give me a shout. I may be able to get a little piece of the action and save you a couple bucks. I’ll start looking into shipping the the OutBack . . . . . but I have a local source that sells screens pretty cheap compared to what I find online. Might could even get case pricing or better if you want to invest in a pallet or full shipping container full . . . . We’ll be FatBaldGuys Transworld, Inc. :lol:

Last edited:
It may be a prep/production methodology or perhaps sheer volume but we are doing very nicely with only 10 12" discs and 12 14". We hand open, dock, move to a disc, 6:30 minutes later it’s out, off to be cut. The now available disc is cool enough to reuse by the time the pie is cut and the next order is ready to make. Again, noting that this is how WE do it, maybe it’s not going to work that way in every shop but we do put a nice number of pizzas out every night and have yet to stand around and wait for a disc to become available. I’m not sure one needs to invest in dozens and dozens of every size.

Last edited:
deaconvolker:
It may be a prep/production methodology or perhaps sheer volume but we are doing very nicely with only 10 12" discs and 12 14". We hand open, dock, move to a disc, 6:30 minutes later it’s out, off to be cut. The now available disc is cool enough to reuse by the time the pie is cut and the next order is ready to make. Again, noting that this is how WE do it, maybe it’s not going to work that way in every shop but we do put a nice number of pizzas out every night and have yet to stand around and wait for a disc to become available. I’m not sure one needs to invest in dozens and dozens of every size.
We don’t hand toss. Our operation is completely different… We make the dough and bulk tub it to “age” in the coolroom and then bring it out and cut balls top weight on the 3 sizes we have working on an average number for any given night.

We then sheet them and place on screens, up to 170 on a Friday. These are racked and then used as required. No problems with drying out or anything and helps greatly when rushed.

One thing to remember that you guys do it a lot differently to us mainly due to the huge wages we have to pay (2/12 - 3 times what you pay) so we have to look at the most cost effective manner whilst maintaining quality. And I know that our pizzas would stand up against the best freshly hand tossed ones.

Dave

Last edited:
I’ve seen folks do the sheet-rack&hold, method before, I’d be jealous just to have enough walk-in cooler space to do that! It’s been fun to read all the different ways we all accomplish our pies. We are a full menu “Pub” with 90 seats. We serve a deep and a tossed pizza, a few subs, fresh ground burgers, and then a LOT of pastas and steaks. It can become a tad challenging to make sure all the orders on a given ticket are timed to come ready at the same time, but I’m just enough inexperienced in this racket to be making it work I guess. We have explored using one of Tom’s methods to par-bake a pie then hold it for our lunch. I’m always up for any method which may allow us to serve a table quicker without losing quality.

Last edited:
Back