Continue to Site

Pre making skins

misteroman

I remember reading awhile back that rolling out the dough,saucing and cheesing, then putting back into the cooler is bad if for more then 30 mins or so.The reason was that the moisture in the sauce would react with the dough and would make it bad/not how it normally would be.
  1. is this a true statement?
    2)Can I stretch out the dough ball and place them on pans and put them back in the cooler until I am ready to use them( no sauce on them)
    Thanks again
    Derek

Last edited:
2)Can I stretch out the dough ball and place them on pans and put them back in the cooler until I am ready to use them( no sauce on them)
This is common practice with most of the pizza places around my city.

Last edited:
I premake several pies of different sizes every Friday. These pies are made between 3pm and 4 pm and we usually run out of premade pizzas by 8 pm. We have never had a complaint in regards to the taste or quality from the first pie to the last. The only difference is the last few may rise on the edges more than the first few. I also froze some left over pies one friday night and used them the next day for slice pies(I tasted the first one myself) and believe it or not, it didn’t seem to affect the quality. I would be interested to hear Tom Lehmans response regarding the dough/sauce reaction.

Last edited:
This is exactly what I am hoping to hear.I used to always to this before and always seemed to work fine.
Derek

Last edited:
we spin our & keep 'em on a traditional rack…we’ve got several old style metal/bakery cabinets…we put one rack on a sheet pan in the box & the 2nd one on the bottom…

keep the door closed or cracked & they’ll proof and you can use them hours later…

we’ve even left some bread stix in them over night & baked 'em the next day…lotta “yeasty” flavor…

CiCi’s makes about 70+ pies and keeps 'em on racks, uncovered…specs say use 'em in 30 minutes, but they last 'bout an hour b4 the skin gets a bit dry…

you can put a plastic bag over them as well…

Last edited:
special round stacking pans specifically designed from pre-stretched skins can be purchased at several different pizza equipment sources on the net…

Derek,

How busy do you plan on being? I can remember putting up “floaters” on the rack back in the day when I was doing $20k+ per week and we were going through 150 pie hours and such. If you’re doing pie hours of 80 or less, you should be able to handle it with relative ease so there shouldn’t be a need so why let your product suffer.

Now, of course, if you’re kickin’ a$$ and takin’ names over there in your little part of the universe… please disregard.

-J_r0kk

Last edited:
Back