Continue to Site

Pretzel and Pizza Dough

knightwing1995

I have an opportunity to add pizzas to a local pretzel shop. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can use the same High Gluten flour that I use for pizza for the pretzel dough. Or would I need a different type?

Last edited:
Your “pretzel flour” should work just fine for making a thin crust pizza. You might even be able to use your same (pretzel dough) formula wwwith just an increase in water content (absorption). Pretzel doughs are typically made with 40 to 45% dough absorption, while pizza doughs are typically made with around 55% dough absorption. Dough absorption is the amount of water added to the dough expressed as a percentage of the flour weight.
Check out the RECIPE BANK for some dough formulas and procedures. Be sure to use the word “dough” as your search word.
Let us know if we can be of any further help.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
I can confirm that high gluten flour will make a fine pretzel dough. I’ve made the same pretzel recipe both ways several time and the end result is almost identical. High gluten pretzels are much more malleable than the all-purpose dough on the bench. As for using the same dough for Pizza - the pretzel dough I make has way too much sugar in it for my pizza-liking. Give it a try and let us all know how it turned out though…

Last edited:
That flour is most likely coming in at about 10% protein content. You’re going to need to go to a higher protein flour to make pizzas in an efficient manner. You might also look at adding about 5% (based on the flour weight) vital wheat gluten to the flour to bump the protein content up to 13%. For initial testing, you can buy a box of vital wheat gluten from the grocery store (baking section). Just dry blend it into the flour fgor a couple seconds, and you should be “good to go”.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Back