Continue to Site

Punch Out Dough?

Hi Everyone,
Anyone have any bread baking experience? I think my baker is using short cuts on some of my rolls. One of my guests commented that my steak rolls look like he is using punch out dough. I of course was slammed, and didn’t have time to ask him about it and didn’t want to make a big stink about it anyway. But, if it’s punch out dough I could be baking my rolls myself and save hundreds of dollars a month. I’m gonna shoot an email to my suppliers too. Anyone using it?
Later! Willi

Last edited:
I don’t know what “punch out dough” is, but I gotta say the first couple links that a google search returned gave me a chuckle.

Last edited:
I just gotta fess-up, I’ve been in the baking industry as a baker, teacher, and consultant for well over 40-years, and I ain’t never heard of “punch-out” dough either. Can someone please explain to us what this is?
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
I Googled it too, and it looks like some creative home bakers have decided to use the term “punch out” with “punch down” interchangeably. You punch a dough down for a number of reasons, to keep it in the container during fermentation (to punch a sponge). To help prevent the development of a crust or dry skin over the top of a fermenting dough or sponge (punching forces the top area down into the dough or sponge mass). To help the fermenting sponge or dough maintain a consistent temperature throughout its mass. The thing that has me confused is how this would be deleterious. Just because a baker “punched down” the dough, why would it be a lesser dough? Punching a dough or sponge is done to improve the overall quality of the product, not lessen it. In the Y-Tube video a lady even used the words “punch down” at the beginning of the video, but then used the words “punch out” at the end. In any case, it sure didn’t look like it hurt the dough in any way to me, all she did was to flatten the dough slightly by hand. So I’m still confused.

Last edited:
my first thought when i saw that was does the customer mean they look cut out like a biscuit? I’ve never made rolls like that but I guess you could but would it make any difference really?

very strange statement that I haven’t come across before.

Bryan

Last edited:
OK,
I was told by another pizza guy near me was, “punch out” dough comes in a variety of sizes and forms frozen depepending an what bun, roll or pizza skin you want. Then you place them out on sheets, then bake when thawed? Lol, it’s driving me crazy too. I don’t know if you remember my chocolate syrup fiasco when I so obviously realized I could by #10 cans and marry them into squeeze bottles instead of buying them already in the bottles. I’m always on an endless quest to save money!

Last edited:
H.B.;
That would make sense. Ready made, frozen dough, either preformed or pre-proofed. The ready made flavor would be slacked out (thawed) then proofed (allowed to rise about 90-minutes) and baked. The pre-proofed, frozen flavor would be removed from the bulk pack, panned onto baking sheets, slacked out overnight, and then go directly to the oven for baking. In each of these cases, the frozen dough product, like most all other frozen dough products, is lacking in fermentation, leaving the finished product somewhat wanting in the flavor department. This would be opposed to rolls made by some form of the straight dough process, where the dough is mixed, and allowed to ferment at room temperature for 1 to 3-hours before being cut and shaped into rolls, or in our case, it could be taken directly from the mixer to the bench for cutting and forming, placed onto baking pans, then given a short proof (30-minutes at room temperature), brushed with oil, and placed into the cooler (covered to prevent drying) to slowly ferment overnight. On the following day, the dough is removed from the cooler and allowed to finish proofing at room temperature, the cover is removed and the dough is taken to the oven for baking. Jeff (Zeak’s Tweaks) and I used this very same procedure at the NAPICS Show in Columbus, Ohio earlier this week for making hoagie buns.

Last edited:
Back