Continue to Site

questoin on dough management

piemaker2007

something that I noticed when I worked at Pizza Hut and I notice when I am at the local leading indie pizza joint in my town is that some of the dough is not balled and allowed a slow rise. It’s allowed to sit in bulk while proofing.

At PH the thin crust was mixed and bagged and stored in bins in the prep area. It was put in the proofer for 90 mins in bulk the morning it was going to be used. the scraps were bagged and proofed again for 1 more use. I assumed that this was different at pizza hut since I don’t think the thin dough had yeast to leven it. However, the local leading indie does this too with the regular yeasted dough. they mix it and then bag it in bulkd and use as needed several times a day. I know some ex employees and they confirmed that it’s not balled but mixed and bagged and used as needed and stored in bulk.

I was wondering how this effected dough development and if there were any pros or cons to this.

their product is pretty good but I hvae noticed that the dough quality is not consisent from visit to visit, especially acrossed their dough lines (white and wheat). I won’t call it bad but sometimes it’s less good. Their sauce and fresh topping tend to save the crust. The wheat seems to be able to stand up to their dough process better than the white.

Bryan

Last edited:
Bryan;
You hit the nail right on the head when you said that you noticed that the dough wasn’t very consistent throughout the day. That is precisely what is wrong with that dough management procedure. The procedure you described is essentially the same as what was used back in the 50’s and early 60’s, bu t as business grew, we needed a dough management procedure that allowed us to keep the dough longer, with greater consistency, and without waste, hence the refrigerated dough ball dough management procedure was eventually born, after much trial and error throughout the 70’s and early 80’s.
If you want a copy of my Dough Management Procedure, e-mail me at [email protected] and request a copy of my Dough Management Procedure and I’ll be glad to send it to you.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Back