Raises?

noreason

Let’s here about what everyone does for raises. Monthly reviews? Things like that? I have got to put a system in place…

I’m tired of people demanding a raise and then me overthinking it and then finally realizing most of the employees that ask haven’t gotten a raise in a while thus I end up giving it to them… Can’t hate a person for being honest i guess, considering it’s more my fault for not having an actual system in place. But not everyone that thinks they deserve a raise deserves a raise which is another problem.

Just gave a bump to a guy then a month later he asked me for another… It makes me want to tell them to go elsewhere but the reality of it is he’s a good enough guy to bump up and keep on staff so I’ll probably bump him again and make it clear that’s not how it’s going to go in the future.

I can’t look like the guy that just hands out raises if all you gotta do is ask for one so sadly i have lost people to prevent this from happening.

Also, we don’t have tons of labor dollars to just keep bumping everyone up and up and up…

Last edited:
We don’t have a system, but if I did I would do performance reviews every 6 or 12 months (I think 6 would be better). These would NOT necessarily be tied to a raise. But it would be grounds for a raise if they deserved one.

Last edited:
For cooks we start at $10. Move to $11 when they “know the menu” and can keep up. That is it unless they take on other responsibility. If they can be in charge of the line on a busy night they get $12. Above that is Assistant Mngr and can open/close the place and be in charge when the GM is not there. That gets bonuses on top of the $12 which are generally around $2 per hour so $14. Also, asst managers get paid vacation and at least half of the season ski pass (worth $1100) paid for.

Last edited:
We went to a “No Tipping Environment” while implementing a “Fair & Equitable Wage Program”
Basically the crew gets a split on a 15% service charge divided by their hours worked. It stopped the butthurt of severs making more than the kitchen, and got real teamwork happening.

I have been watching what has been happening at a place an hour or so away with his Fair & Equitable program, we spoke at length, I made the decision to give it a try, and I really like it.

My dishwasher is upwards of $14.00/Hour, my main line cook is exceeding $20/Hour. Now I finally got some decent applicants showing up, and I can be more choosy about hired help,
I had to do something to get some talent here,

Read more about the program here>>> http://www.deltadiner.com/follow-up-on-comments-regarding-no-tip-policy/

Last edited:
We went to a “No Tipping Environment” while implementing a “Fair & Equitable Wage Program”
Basically the crew gets a split on a 15% service charge divided by their hours worked. It stopped the butthurt of severs making more than the kitchen, and got real teamwork happening.

I have been watching what has been happening at a place an hour or so away with his Fair & Equitable program, we spoke at length, I made the decision to give it a try, and I really like it.

My dishwasher is upwards of $14.00/Hour, my main line cook is exceeding $20/Hour. Now I finally got some decent applicants showing up, and I can be more choosy about hired help,
I had to do something to get some talent here,

Read more about the program here>>> http://www.deltadiner.com/follow-up-on-comments-regarding-no-tip-policy/
Any update on how the no tipping system is working out? Any customer feedback?

Last edited:
I think the no tipping works great in theory. I wish we could do it. Many places out in California have started it but its just not PC and they are getting backlash for it. The public out here thinks that restaurant owners are swimming in pools of cash and are offended when a service charge shows up on their bill. We even have some city governments that are talking about banning the practice.

Last edited:
A few articles show that it’s backfired for a lot of people apparently
Interesting, I just read a bunch of articles on it and from what I gather those that can’t make it work are newer establishments. Those with long standing excellent reputations were able to succeed because they have a customer base that won’t leave. But starting a new business and trying to educate customers at the same time seems like an impossible task. I think for the culture to change, and unfortunately tipping is part of American culture, it will take the larger, successful restaurants to help educate customers. A smaller, new restaurant can’t fight this fight and expect to come out on top.

Last edited:
Overall we have had a positive response to it, but of course you will always have a small minority who cannot wrap their head around it.
The way I explain it is that it is simply a profit sharing program, instead of trying to hide that amount in the pricing, it gets charged as a line-item charge so the customer does not get taxed on that amount.
Some say it is their right to tip or not, so it has to be explained that it is NOT a tip or gratuity, if money is left, it goes to a local charity.

The employees love it, because when they are all busting their hump, their hourly rate goes up due to this. So they get rewarded handsomely when we are getting slammed, I had no more “That’s not my job, She gets tipped and I don’t” bullspit.

Anyways, I sold my place, and the new owners kept the no-tipping program,

Last edited:
Overall we have had a positive response to it, but of course you will always have a small minority who cannot wrap their head around it.
The way I explain it is that it is simply a profit sharing program, instead of trying to hide that amount in the pricing, it gets charged as a line-item charge so the customer does not get taxed on that amount.
Some say it is their right to tip or not, so it has to be explained that it is NOT a tip or gratuity, if money is left, it goes to a local charity.

The employees love it, because when they are all busting their hump, their hourly rate goes up due to this. So they get rewarded handsomely when we are getting slammed, I had no more “That’s not my job, She gets tipped and I don’t” bullspit.

Anyways, I sold my place, and the new owners kept the no-tipping program,
So was it a flat fee on every ticket, or a percentage? What was the amount if flat fee? Did you do a lot of delivery and or takeout?

Last edited:
Back