Continue to Site

Range that goes to 650 F?

pjcampbell

I hope you do not mind me asking, but I am looking for a range (stove with burners) that runs on gas, either 30 or 36" wide that has at least a 650F thermostat. It is for a residence but I love making pizza and am looking for higher heat than 500-550F as most ovens come. Does anyone know of one?

Last edited:
I stand to be corrected on this, but I think the UL certification has a cut off at a lower temperature than 650F, I want to say that it might be only 550 or 600F. Why do you want to go to 650F when most deck ovens are only operated at 500 to 550F? It isn’t so much the temperature of the oven as it is the recovery rate and the crown height of the oven that distinguishes it as a “pizza” oven. Most home/residential ovens have pretty slow heat recovery rates as a cost saving feature, while heat recovery is a crucial part of any commercial oven, this is why their gas burners put out as many BTU or more than most home furnaces. Here is an idea that I’ve been tossing around in my mind lately; Get two large pieces of unglazed floor tile, the thicker the better (within reason). I’m thinking that 1/2-thick would be near ideal, place these on your oven racks, with one rack set about a third of the way up, and the other about 6-inches above it. Preheat the oven for an hour, or so. Those stones have got to be at full oven temperature, then place your pizza on the bottom stone and see if that doesn’t give you a pretty decent quality of bake from a home oven.
Note: Try to size the stones so they nearly completely fill the rack space, use multiple stones if necessary. I’ve been thinking about this for some time now, but I’ve not had a chance to try it yet, please let me know how it works if you decide to give it a try.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I think the consumer oven limit seems to be 550F. I guess I have notion that the style of pizza that most closely resembles neapolitan requires lots of heat (although I know that a true neapolitan requires more like 800 F). What I desire is (if this makes sense, I don’t know) a very light, airy and tender dough structure but with a touch of crunch on the outside of the crust and maybe even a touch of char. I haven’t had a chance to test your idea but have been thinking of it as well. I believe some of the guys on pizzamaking.com use this or similar methods with success though.

Last edited:
I regularly get those characteristics when baking at 495F in an air impingement oven using a hearth bake disk, and in a deck oven, baking at 525F and baking right on the deck. Those of you who had a chance to stop by the Dough Technology Booth at the PMQ New York City Pizza Show last week had a chance to see these pizzas being made and to sample them too, we sure made a bunch of them. Keep in mind though, that this is using a commercial pizza oven, not a home type oven.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
If any one is looking for stones for their oven(home) contact me. I have a number of stacks of broken stones that I normally just throw in the dumpster. If you pick up the shipping I’ll send you about whatever size you need. I think I have 1/4" to 1" or so thick.

Last edited:
Wow! For any of you home pizza bakers, there’s an offer that’s hard to resist.
Note:
I have no way of knowing what the stones will look like, but if they’re just moderately stained or discolored, you can use then just as they are. If there is a build up on the stones, just clean them up a little with a piece of sandpaper and a sanding block and you are ready to go.
Tom Lehmann

Last edited:
Back