Continue to Site

Re:PMQ Article - WFO - my experience

Patriot_sPizza

I recently got an email from PMQ, talking about the Marana Forni ovens…

Oddly enough, our next project has one & I got to run it last Saturday…

We’re stepping out of our normal biz model & partnering up with a new established independent pizza operation that features this oven…

We’re taking over a new spot & putting another one there as well…

Now, I’m an old conveyor guy…love the simplicity…lol…but this oven is a contender!

This operation tries to mimic an Italian pizza experience, rather than a NY city one…a little new for me…

The oven, on busy time periods, is truly a 2-man operation…1 to make & 1 to pull…

You can control the speed of the rotating deck…the faster it goes, the more heat it gets from the source…

The “brick” deck seems to be from man-made materials, in sections, so the center piece expands a bit when fully hot…the deck also can be raised 18" or so, to really catch the excessive heat at the dome…

I quickly learned to run the pies in & it takes just a few minutes, then its done…the oven runs about 600 degrees or so…there is a temp gauge & a log or two quickly brings it back to temp…

It is a bit dark in the cavity, if no log is burning bright, so a fair bit of bending over is in order…(ouch, my back)…and I burned a few…

Over all, I am impressed…you must like thin crust, minimal pies (and his 1st location, folks seem to love it)…no $5 pies here either…lol…focuses on a rustic style yet gourmet specialties…

2 sizes…a 19 ounce dough yields a 18" pie…5 oz. of sauce & a special mozz/buffalo mozz shredded cheese…real light on the cheese too…

a 100 pie hour is easily obtainable…but, its a bit pricey…

Its not for everyone…but if you are a sit-down operator, looking for a unique draw…or a new fangled Chipotle style operation, this is a worthy option…

Last edited:
Back